Obama - man of peace

Um... I don't want to nominate myself for the Nobel Prize for humour or anything but 'twas said in jest.

Obama has not been able to do much because the right wing nut cases hate him because he is black and a Democrat. I hope you people are staying in Argentina for a long time, because we have enough jerks in the US without you. By the way I am not black and I was a supporter of Hillary Clinton lol

This president has accomplished nothing, and I am deeply disappointed in him. It's like giving an Academy Award to an actor who was in a flop because they MIGHT make a movie next year.

I turned green in 2009 and voted for Obama...the first time I've voted for a Democratic contender for the presidency. I like being a Democrat as I'd moved too far away from Bushism. However....had anyone mentioned Obama getting the Nobel Prize in January when he was inaugurated, I think the majority would have "What's wrong with the Nobel Prize?" I think that now. It's too soon...doesn't the prize mean more than this?

Just one prize for the great man? Heck, he shoud have been awarded the literature prize as well for "The Audacity of Hope." And the physics prize for realising the gravity of the situation. Plus he took some first-aid classes in high school so that should bag the medicine prize.

Giving a prize on potential is ridiculous.

InjuredBadly said:
Obama has not been able to do much because the right wing nut cases hate him because he is black and a Democrat. I hope you people are staying in Argentina for a long time, because we have enough jerks in the US without you. By the way I am not black and I was a supporter of Hillary Clinton lol

i think that you mis-interpreted some comments here - most people were talking about the international 'war/peace' scene and what the Nobel Peace Prize is supposed to represent - not internal politics...

Also, not all people on this forum are 'US jerks'. I'm an English bastard, for example.

everyone has responded equally - a resounding "what did he win it for?"

jp - to the point - good
bigbadwolf - i like the sarcasm

finally, i call for a march on the swedish embassies worldwide - perhaps with that effort i'll be in with a chance next year...

thebookcellar said:
... finally, i call for a march on the swedish embassies worldwide - perhaps with that effort i'll be in with a chance next year...

It was the Norwegians, alas, who were the culprits in this case.

bigbadwolf said:
It was the Norwegians, alas, who were the culprits in this case.

correct, in the case of Obama - wikipedia and bigbadwolf have taught me something today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize

alfred nobel was swedish, though the peace prize is the only nobel prize not be presented in Stolkholm...the article above states why...

for those that cant be bothered to read it here is my favorite bit, especially considering this year's winnner:

"According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded 'to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.'"

Seems they feel obliged to hand it out every year. Far better to wait until someone really merits it - once a decade at most, giving the message that peace is a sadly rare and precious commodity.

Back