Obamacare: Do Expats Need To Buy Health Insurance?

Well I can only speak from an Australian perspective but we know that our population is ageing. We know we have to prepare for the future and this was known when the scheme was implemented; we're not all as silly as we look. In Australia is does not cost "millions" to keep old people alive. If it did I think the health system would have collapsed long ago. We may need to pay more taxes in the future or find other revenue streams to pay for the increasing costs, but there is general consensus within the Australian community that that is what has to be done to care for our citizens. Last year we implemented Disability Care which as the name indicates is a free public health scheme to care for people with disabilities. There is now a push to get a Dental Care scheme going because dental is not covered under free public health in Australia at the moment. I fail to see how not having to worry about myself and my loved ones having access to healthcare treatment is a bad thing?

There are many problems with universal health care. ...
The primary problem is that the vile mob gets a better health.

Now, let's look at facts.

In the US a huge number of people (app 45 million) have no health care at all, and for the rest there are many exemptions for "pre-existing conditions" and deseases not covered, and many have to pay part of the expenses/deductibles. Presently the US spends app 17 percent of GDP on health care.

In France everybody has free health care. Presently France spends app 8 percent of GDP on health care of a quality judged to be among the 3 best in the world (US health care is not among them).

The PPACA prohibits Americans living abroad to participate in this health insurance plan. It is only available to residents of the US. Therefore, you are exempt from paying the penalty, aka tax for not participating.

That doesn't exempt you from shelling out more Dollars in income taxes every year to help pay for the program. See related thread; Why I Chose to Give Up My American Citizenship.

:eek:

I'm a resident here in Argnetina but for U.S. tax purposes I use my Uncle's address in California. Am I still exempt from having the Obama health insurance plan?

The primary problem is that the vile mob gets a better health.

Now, let's look at facts.

In the US a huge number of people (app 45 million) have no health care at all, and of the rest there are many exemptions for "pre-existing conditions" and deseases not covered, and many have to pay part of the expenses. Presently the US spends app 17 percent of GDP on health care.

In France everybody has free health care. Presently France spends app 8 percent of GDP on health care of a quality judged to be among the 3 best in the world (US health care is not among them).

Yes, the current health setup in the US is awful. There are liability issues, laws that prevent sale of insurance cross state borders and the banning of the importation of generic drugs. All of these drive the costs of health up. It is a system setup to benefit the health insurance companies (just like Obamacare). It needs to be reformed and urgently. But the solution is NOT Obamacare and even less the French model. Again, how will most developed nations fund free health care? It is not an ideological question, it is a MATHEMATICAL question. How do you fund a system where the number of contributes are diminishing while the number of depends grow and the costs to care for them grows exponentially?
How does one solve this simple question about scarcity? Because that is what it is. Resources are scare and as we get older, we start to consume a dramatically higher percentage of those resources. How do you manage that problem on a system where individual health care costs are opaque, diluted and impersonal? In terms of health care expenditures, the sky is the limit. You can spend as much as you can dream of, to treat a person. How do you manage that on a universal health care system with an aging population?

I'm a resident here in Argnetina but for U.S. tax purposes I use my Uncle's address in California. Am I still exempt from having the Obama health insurance plan?

No. If uncle Sam thinks you are in California and you want that to continue, you are NOT exempt.

The interesting thing about the whole obamacare discussion in the US is that the dumb rednecks that would benefit from it seem to be against it ...

But fortunately they have wise and selfless liberals that will impose it on them no matter if they want it or not. And that is how fascism is born.

It is all for your own good, citizen. Now move along...move along.....

The interesting thing about the whole obamacare discussion in the US is that the dumb rednecks that would benefit from it seem to be against it ...

As long as you discuss the elements of the law with them, they are for it. But call it "ObamaCare" and they're enraged. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/09/30/five-reasons-americans-already-love-obamacare-plus-one-reason-why-theyre-gonna/

... how will most developed nations fund free health care? It is not an ideological question, it is a MATHEMATICAL question. How do you fund a system where the number of contributes are diminishing while the number of depends grow and the costs to care for them grows exponentially?
Explain the US military budget.

1. The number of contributors are diminishing.
2. The number of depends grew from year 2001 onwards.
3. The cost for still more advanced equipment grows exponentially.

Explain the US military budget.

1. The number of contributors are diminishing.
2. The number of depends grew from year 2001 onwards.
3. The cost for still more advanced equipment grows exponentially.

That is another absurdity. If you are looking for someone to argue for the us military spending, go look elsewhere. I'd cut the current US military budget by a MINIMUM of 50% if I had my way.

PS: Oh, you must have thought I am republican. Now I understand why you brought up the military issue. Sorry if I disappoint you. I find the current US defense policy one of the biggest and most senseless money pits in the history of mankind.

Back