Obesity epidemic in BA

Healthy eating: a meeting on what to eat to take care of the body and mind.

Hello!
We invite you to share a meeting with Fernán Quirós, Minister of Health of the City of Buenos Aires; Dr. Diego Montes de Oca and the participation of nutritionist Diego Sívori, with whom we are going to talk about healthy eating. In addition, we are going to know his advice to avoid the consumption of unhealthy foods and how to take care of the body and mind.
The event is face-to-face and will take place on Wednesday, November 23 at 6:00 p.m.
We will wait for you!

Most Drs. In Arg do not work in prevention, they mostly prescribe meds that labs bring to them... Us nurses educate the community and work in health prevention. In the city of Buenos Aires, nurses are regarded as, and paid as, admin workers. Beware who you will be getting advice from.

I have kids that are teenagers now. When they were younger we took same very simple steps e.g. no Coca Cola or sugary soft drinks at home, no Lays chips, once a week to go to the kiosco and buy 3 things alfajores etc what they wanted but we never had candies or sweets, facturas at home all the time so now that they are adults they are healthy and prefer healthy food ah and no sugary cookies we try to eat as healthy as possible. I don't like buying cakes in Confiterias they have tons of sugar and dulce de leche I prefer to make cakes at home.

I have kids that are teenagers now. When they were younger we took same very simple steps e.g. no Coca Cola or sugary soft drinks at home, no Lays chips, once a week to go to the kiosco and buy 3 things alfajores etc what they wanted but we never had candies or sweets, facturas at home all the time so now that they are adults they are healthy and prefer healthy food ah and no sugary cookies we try to eat as healthy as possible. I don't like buying cakes in Confiterias they have tons of sugar and dulce de leche I prefer to make cakes at home.

Cooking at home makes a huge difference. Especially if one uses harina integral instead of white flour, arroz integral instead of white rice, and some sort of brown sugar instead of white sugar. Making your own bread at home is also a major issue. Fresh fruit with breakfast, a big green salad with dinner, and you're golden.

The last thing I'd mention is using olive oil instead of seed oils like sunflower or canola. If you check your local verdulerías, you can often find decent quality olive oil at a much better price than the supermarkets. In a glass bottle is best; you never know what leaches out of plastics.

Simple things can make a very large difference. There's really no need to go to freakish extremes. I'm not suggesting that anything you mentioned is extreme. I'm thinking of vegans and paleo diet and all that. No meat and all meat are both unhealthy extremes; we are omnivores, and our teeth prove it.

When I moved to Argentina from the US a decade ago I noticed that the people looked much healthier here and there were very few obese people. Now it seems usual to see people waddling across the street or taking up two seats on a bench. At the same time there are now lots of KFC's and Burger King's and stores that sell only french fries dripping in cheese. Sad.

Cheese and meat (as long as they're good quality) are not the problem. A good diet of beef, organ meats, dairy (milk, cream, butter, cheese) fruits (any) and some organic raw honey is all you need to thrive. This isn't an expensive way of eating. Focus on what is good for your gut. Cut out all the foods that are made with processed oils and sugar. Cut out grains completely. These are my tips to end obesity, and also so many chronic illnesses that exist in today's society. I generally try to avoid fish (without knowing where its from - they consume far too much plastic), pork and chicken (pigs and poultry are generally fed terrible, ultra-processed foods).

Cheese and meat (as long as they're good quality) are not the problem. A good diet of beef, organ meats, dairy (milk, cream, butter, cheese) fruits (any) and some organic raw honey is all you need to thrive. This isn't an expensive way of eating. Focus on what is good for your gut. Cut out all the foods that are made with processed oils and sugar. Cut out grains completely. These are my tips to end obesity, and also so many chronic illnesses that exist in today's society. I generally try to avoid fish (without knowing where its from - they consume far too much plastic), pork and chicken (pigs and poultry are generally fed terrible, ultra-processed foods).
Can you cite evidence? What you suggest as a diet would be quite expensive, and in my case lead to chronic constipation.

This is not a diet I would recommend for most people. Focusing on whole animal proteins is good advice (but no need to avoid non farmed fish) and organic chicken is available. However, advising people to consume lots of dairy is truly terrible advice as the lactose will cause immune system disaster in many many folks. Eating lots of vegetables (any time of the day) and fruits up until the afternoon is solid advice. Avoiding grains, sugar, and processed anything is also advisable. Sugar is truly poison and is disastrous for many vital organs.

Can you cite evidence? What you suggest as a diet would be quite expensive, and in my case lead to chronic constipation.
Not expensive, definitely cheaper than McDonalds and fast food in general! I've been eating this way for a few years, never had constipation (I hardly ever break wind either). Most of my fiber comes from fruits. I'm not saying avoid fish, just that personally I tend to not eat fish because of how much micro-plastic they consume. I'm not saying lots of diary either. Lots of ANYTHING is bad for you. But sure, I have a little butter, milk, cheese and cream most days. Eggs too. I also use animal fats (tallow mainly) or butter to cook with. I'm glad we can agree on grains, sugar and processed foods!

Not expensive, definitely cheaper than McDonalds and fast food in general! I've been eating this way for a few years, never had constipation (I hardly ever break wind either). Most of my fiber comes from fruits. I'm not saying avoid fish, just that personally I tend to not eat fish because of how much micro-plastic they consume. I'm not saying lots of diary either. Lots of ANYTHING is bad for you. But sure, I have a little butter, milk, cheese and cream most days. Eggs too. I also use animal fats (tallow mainly) or butter to cook with. I'm glad we can agree on grains, sugar and processed foods!
Nutrition is a critically important factor on both a global and personal scale. If the paleo diet had peer reviewed studies with thousands of participants over several years to support your claims, I'd like to know about it. A planet with 8 billion inhabitants, with significant numbers malnourished presently, has no possibility of feeding those 8 billion without grains and legumes. Not to mention all the methane the cattle would emit. We don't agree on grains; it seems you have confused my post with that of another. But the statement therein "not expensive, definitely cheaper than McDonald's" confounded me, since McDonald's is a good choice for public restrooms, but I have not considered eating there for decades.

Back