Obtaining driver's license in CABA

I guess I must lower my expectations. I had hoped I would have been waived out of a temp or probationary license period with over 50 years of driving. So I am inclined to get the course and exam done ASAP so I can run the clock out on the restriction on highways with higher permitted speeds. May give me a good excuse to decline long trips to visit the girlfriend's family members. Thanks to all for your contributions.

Check it may be a provinicial transit law restriction(or may not, just check it). In other province I was only restricted to enter city center for half a year, nothing concerning highways.

Do you need one? I’ve driven hire cars a few times and just driven around with my UK one.
Was even stopped on the way to Pinamar for a routine stop and policeman didn’t say anything about it.

You 100% need one if you are resident.
But here is the twist you need, bu there is a chance that you cant. As some are nor allowed(oficialy) to pass the test and obtain licence if don`t speak and read castellano.

For anyone that has been stopped by police in the streets while driving, do you know if it is common for them to ask for an international driving permit?

I never got one in the EU, I've been stopped by police twice on the roads here and didn't get asked for one, but I did almost have a vacation ruined when my rental car got lifted by the transport police due to parking on a yellow line ("It's fine, it's a holiday tomorrow!" was my girlfriend's ill fated view..).

I arrived at the garage to retrieve my car only to be told that a non-mercosur driving license needs to be accompanied by an IDP, my girlfriend doesn't drive so we had to find a very friendly taxi driver to show his argentine license for the grand total of 0.5 seconds before they processed the entire thing with my license...

I'm going to be going through the process of residency etc early next year and then get my Argentine license following that, but for regular police on the roads is a foreign driving license plus passport enough in most cases?

Another protip. Don't hand them your previous license when you go to take the test. They will take it from you. I guess they don't think you'll need it anymore when you go visit your home country. Just leave it at home and they won't bother you for it.

I've been driving here for almost three years and never been asked to show my license. Never seen a cop monitoring speeds or been pulled over.

I got stopped driving my brother in law’s car to Pinamar and the policeman didn’t seem concerned about mine, he also wasn’t that concerned about my brother in law’s car having some kind of issue from the Argentine version of the MOT either think there was a brake light out, Just said ‘no quiero complicar la vida’ but get it sorted when you can.
Depends on whether you get stopped by someone who’s interested or now I suppose.

I've been driving here for almost three years and never been asked to show my license. Never seen a cop monitoring speeds or been pulled over.
Oh yes they certainly have speed traps, cunningly disguised as broken down vans as well, with the back doors half open and a camera poking out. Definitely on the route from BA to MDP, I can more or less google the location if needed. It's not uncommon to see police cars parked in the shade or under some trees at the side of the motorway, mostly just for show but who knows...

Oh yes they certainly have speed traps, cunningly disguised as broken down vans as well, with the back doors half open and a camera poking out. Definitely on the route from BA to MDP, I can more or less google the location if needed. It's not uncommon to see police cars parked in the shade or under some trees at the side of the motorway, mostly just for show but who knows...
I got a speeding ticket on the trip to the coast last summer nearly $7000. Doing 100km/he in 80km/hr limit.

Must be

Must be a BA thing.

Back