Obtaining driver's license in CABA

I'm going to be going through the process of residency etc early next year and then get my Argentine license following that, but for regular police on the roads is a foreign driving license plus passport enough in most cases?

I need to go through the same process, I applied for something last year, and I understand I need an "otorgamiento" to get a local driving license. Maybe we can compare notes, or even make a guide for here, it's something I need to do fairly urgently now that officially at least the pandemic is ending and all the waivers will be gone too.

Was actually $13650 and got a 50% discount for ‘pago voluntario’
Wow, you're off the scale :cool: My fines so far (at least those that could be traced back to me) have been stationary, for crimes like parking on the left side of the street. And being towed, paying to release the car, and finding that I still owe the buggers money.

I just got a principiante license a few weeks ago in CABA. I had gotten my US license apostilled. I had not gotten it translated and legalized here but at the Roca office they told me that it wouldn't have mattered because licenses from the States (and the lack of accompanying documents) give no info about what kind of license it is nor about how long you've been driving. I was told that my license could be for a tractor. It says class c on my US license but I guess they can't use the internet and look it up. Ridiculous, I know. I gave up and opted for the principiante license which does not let you drive on any road that has a speed limit over seventy for six months and no alcohol for two years.

Concerning the written test, it was not what I expected. The Spanish was not a problem but most of the questions had nothing to do with what was in the online course they make you take. I have heard that it's a much harder test than it used to be. I felt like I was floundering throughout test, never sure how I was doing, but I ended up scoring a 93,3. I do think a lot of the answers are common sense.

What I was told there was that if you have residency here, you need an Argentine license. I was stopped using my US license in the city last year. The officer asked her colleague and he said for me to go on, but I think that was only because of the pandemic.
What's the link for info to get the test done in CABA? I've been stopped by policia doing checks on motos (admittedly during pandemic), and had no issue using my NYC license. BTW, the moto driving test that my novio did for his license is a challenge!

What's the link for info to get the test done in CABA? I've been stopped by policia doing checks on motos (admittedly during pandemic), and had no issue using my NYC license. BTW, the moto driving test that my novio did for his license is a challenge!
Here's the link: https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/tramites/otorgamiento-de-licencia-de-conducir

When I went to Roca to get my license and pulled into the driving test lot, an rather upset employee told me that I should not have driven myself there because I had residency and no Argentine license. He told me in no uncertain terms that if you have any sort of residency, you have to have an Argentine license. He did end up letting me into the lot, though, to take the test. As you and I both have found out, sometimes there's a difference between what the law says (unless he was just misinformed) and what's enforced.

Here's the link: https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/tramites/otorgamiento-de-licencia-de-conducir

When I went to Roca to get my license and pulled into the driving test lot, an rather upset employee told me that I should not have driven myself there because I had residency and no Argentine license. He told me in no uncertain terms that if you have any sort of residency, you have to have an Argentine license. He did end up letting me into the lot, though, to take the test. As you and I both have found out, sometimes there's a difference between what the law says (unless he was just misinformed) and what's enforced.
That is rather confusing then. What if you have an IDP i wonder? Does it suddenly not hold up anymore? Interesting topic.

When I went to Roca to get my license and pulled into the driving test lot, an rather upset employee told me that I should not have driven myself there because I had residency and no Argentine license. He told me in no uncertain terms that if you have any sort of residency, you have to have an Argentine license.

That is rather confusing then. What if you have an IDP i wonder? Does it suddenly not hold up anymore? Interesting topic.
I think the key word in Stan's post is "residency." Unles the law has changed since I got my license in 2010, once you have residency, you have 90 days to get an Agentine license (if you are driving), and, unless you have a valid license from another country or an IDP, according to the law, you "should" not be driving in Argentina, period. Ths is why the employee at ROCA told Stan he should not have driven himself there.

Tourists can legally drive rental cars with their foreign license or (as far as I know) an IDP as long as their entry permit is valid.

...sometimes there's a difference between what the law says...and what's enforced.
I believe RichOne posted that he drove for years with his foreign license and never had a problem, even when stopped at checkpoints.

The biggest concern I would have is if I was an Argentine resident (with a DNI) driving a vehicle I owned, was involved in an accident, and did not have an Argentine driver's license, would the insurance company deny the claim, saying the coverage did not apply.

I don't think you can obtain Vehicle insurance being a permanent resident without a Argentinian DL. Unless your driving a car on a family member Policy. in that case they just ask for a IDP if you are involved in an accident.

I don't think you can obtain Vehicle insurance being a permanent resident without an Argentinian DL. Unless your driving a car on a family member Policy. in that case they just ask for a IDP if you are involved in an accident.
Based on my own expeince, I think you can own a car and get insurance for it without an Argeninte driver's license.

I bought a car and got insurance (Mafre) before I got an Argentine driver's license.

I think it's possible to get a blue card for anyone to drive the car, and if I understand correctly, if the owner is in the car as a passenger, the driver would not be required to have a blue card, just a valid driver's license.

I don't know for sure if the insurance company must be notifed in advance of drivers other than the owner if they have a blue card and are not on a "family policy."

Of course anyone who drives the car, including the owner, must have a valid driver's license. If not, the insurance company would probably have legal grounds to deny a claim.

Last edited:
Based on my own expeince, I think you can own a car and get insurance for it without an Argeninte driver's license.

I bought a car and got insurance (Mafre) before I got an Argentine driver's license.

I think it's possible to get a blue card for anyone to drive the car, and if I understand correctly, if the owner is in the car as a passenger, the driver would not be required to have a blue card, just a valid driver's license.

I don't know for sure if the insurance company must be notifed in advance of drivers other than the owner if they have a blue card and are not on a "family policy."

Of course anyone who drives the car, including the owner, must have a valid driver's license. If not, the insurance company would probably have legal grounds to deny a claim.
Was this recently or some time ago (That you bought the car and obtained insurance without an ARG DL)?

Steve is right: you can own a car and have insurance without having an Argentine DL. I was never asked by my insurance agent if I had an Argentine license. I bought the car and obtained insurance in Sept 2018 and did not get an Argentine DL until May 2021.

I was always worried that if I had an accident, the insurance would not pay, because I didn't have an Argentine license. I should call my agent and ask now that I do have an Argentine license.

For anyone interested in doing the driving test here, there's a free application for Android called "Test de Conducir" with sample questions. Nothing for iPhone as far as I could see, the only application I saw has one free section and requires payment to unlock the others.

Back