Occupy Wallstreet... and Bs As?

Joe said:
So it's your opinion that the young people of today are lazier than in the past. They don't study as hard? They just aren't trying?

Why do you think people are lazier today than in the past?

The fact of the matter is it is a lot more difficult to get work today than when I first started. People are NOT lazier, NOT less intelligent, NOT less motivated. The opportunities that existed in the past just DON'T exist today.

It is all a result of the changes in the economic environment today, crony capitalism shifting resources to those with connections. Allowing the hollowing out of manufacturing. Creating financial bubbles, first the internet bubble and then the housing bubble, etc. etc.

Joe while I would love to back-you up on this you are just wrong. EVERY study that has come out over the last couple years shows the our youth and young adults ARE less intelligent than before. Lower high school grad rates. Higher drop out rates. Lower scores in math, science, most every subject offered.

They also have a ridiculous sense of 'you owe me' mentality which didn't exist (in most groups) before. There is zero sense of responsibility and zero sense of work ethic.

They are clearly lazier, less intelligent, and as you can see from the protests, motivated to do nothing. We have lost an entire generation.

I think that republicans have a big problem with parasites. The fact that many people take advantage of admirable American social programs to help the poor makes me furious but I would never destroy that safety net that this wonderful country put in place. Instead I would make sure that there is accountability. For example, I never understood how some people buy cocacola with food stamps. Why can we all work to make the system better instead of destroying it?

Joe said:
Well the US was had much less income equality after the second world war. Certainly the 400 richest families didn't own half the country's assets back then! The company boss didn't make 400 or 500 times what the worker made. And so the worker could afford a house for his family. His wife could stay at home and raise the kids if she wanted - like June Cleaver!

and if we pressure the bankers just enough magic will ensue and I'll visit the 1950's for the first time in my life? why was it so easy to get a job in the 1950s but not in the 1930s?

I was looking for an actual example of one society or even small group of people that is more equal than other.
for instance I believe that life in the army or prison is probably more equal, at least in material terms (as in every inmate/recruit receives the same ration) than non institutionalized life.

Joe said:
So it's your opinion that the young people of today are lazier than in the past. They don't study as hard? They just aren't trying?

Why do you think people are lazier today than in the past?

The fact of the matter is it is a lot more difficult to get work today than when I first started. People are NOT lazier, NOT less intelligent, NOT less motivated. The opportunities that existed in the past just DON'T exist today.

call it like it is. I agree it's harder for a white guy living in a specific democratic republic to get an instant job today than 50 years ago. that doesn't mean it's harder today for a mexican or for the rest of the world.
privilege ends at some point, and I'd say that walking on main street and getting a fulfilling great paying job just for being an able man is very much a privilege. Mexicans appreciate those jobs, you scorn them as blue collar.
Today we have the opportunity to make our own opportunities, but it requires not just being not-lazy but a hard worker.

the bottom line of politics is that people blame each other for not being able to cope with reality.

Reality is not just human affairs and the human condition. It's bigger than that, and has harder rules than biology. If gravity is sufficient, a rock WILL fall to the center of gravity no matter how much you protest to the people around you. Even if one of those people is "hoarding" all the gold or tools or fiat currency in the world, still he can't keep that rock from falling. And yet you can blame him and convince everybody that if you burn that hoarder (or whoever) at the stake no more rocks will free fall.

(hey isn't that what happened during kathrina?)

we evade the bigger reality by turning toward other humans in general, toward society.

I agree it's harder for a white guy living in a specific democratic republic to get an instant job today than 50 years ago.

it's harder for a WHITE guy? is that because the coloreds have become uppity??? is that the problem?

zingara said:
I think that republicans have a big problem with parasites. The fact that many people take advantage of admirable American social programs to help the poor makes me furious but I would never destroy that safety net that this wonderful country put in place. Instead I would make sure that there is accountability. For example, I never understood how some people buy cocacola with food stamps. Why can we all work to make the system better instead of destroying it?

perhaps if they received nasa designed rations instead of food stamps.
i mean stamps are so monetary, while a bureau of nutritional management would create lots of jobs while taking the freedom to harm themselves from poor people.

I wouldn't like to lose the freedom to harm myself, would you?

mariposa said:
it's harder for a WHITE guy? is that because the coloreds have become uppity??? is that the problem?

oh please! everywhere in the world it was the same. the 1920s to the end of World War was the apex of Western Civilization, and hence its male population, which happens to be caucasoid.

It was hell easy to get a job in Rhodesia when it still existed, etc etc. so some, incidentally white, people might feel that they are worse off than in the 50s but that's partially because "white folks" were rather privileged at that time. does this make me a raceeest just because I typed the word "white"?

I agree it's harder for a white guy living in a specific democratic republic to get an instant job today than 50 years ago.
does this make me a raceeest just because I typed the word "white"?

perhaps a sexist as well? i don't know you but this does read like the classical white guy perspective.

mariposa said:
perhaps a sexist as well? i don't know you but this does read like the classical white guy perspective.

why because I used specific words?
acknowledging a fact is not the same as promoting it.
if you read my posts correctly you'll see how in fact I'm calling white men in free republics "privileged"

there are no go zones in every society. no society can stand without its several totems and taboos. I touched a taboo and deserve punishment.

likewise though not that grave, urban liberal girls should not question some facts if they they don't want to stain their allegiance to the progressive cause, should such a thing existed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MilHojas Articles 0
J Expat Life 15
Back