Officially Done with BA

Adios_USA said:
Never is my bell rung for the purpose of me gaining anything, always it is rung to bother me or get something from me, so I just ignore them. So far it works pretty good.

If you're at home and you hear the bell rung, it's wise to respond. This past summer my building received a few notices about people knocking on doors or ringing the "timbre" just to see if the person were home or perhaps on vacation. Specifically, neighbors in my building reported people ringing their doorbell within the building, only to find that the person had left after they responded, "¿Quién es?" In theory, if they determine that no one is home, they attempt to break in. Or I guess they could do the job when you open the door. Pretty scary stuff....

bradlyhale said:
If you're at home and you hear the bell rung, it's wise to respond. This past summer my building received a few notices about people knocking on doors or ringing the "timbre" just to see if the person were home or perhaps on vacation. Specifically, neighbors in my building reported people ringing their doorbell within the building, only to find that the person had left after they responded, "¿Quién es?" In theory, if they determine that no one is home, they attempt to break in. Or I guess they could do the job when you open the door. Pretty scary stuff....
I agree. I ALWAYS answer the doorbell or portero electrico so that any would-be scouts know someone is home. Just don't open the door.

Last week the portero of my building asked me if I had spoken with the people from the Municipality, as they were ringing my door bell. At the time, I wasn't home so I asked the portero if he knew why the municipality would be ringing my bell? He said yes, they received complaints that I was running a restaurant in my apartment and wanted to come in and inspect it to make sure that I was not preparing food for sale or serving customers. I take this as a compliment, but they aren't coming in to my place to look at anything. Do we not have the right to privacy in our apartments in this country? Or can government official just come in on a bogus complaint and look over what ever they want? Again, if I were home, I would have ignored them...

Adios_USA said:
Last week the portero of my building asked me if I had spoken with the people from the Municipality, as they were ringing my door bell. At the time, I wasn't home so I asked the portero if he knew why the municipality would be ringing my bell? He said yes, they received complaints that I was running a restaurant in my apartment and wanted to come in and inspect it to make sure that I was not preparing food for sale or serving customers. I take this as a compliment, but they aren't coming in to my place to look at anything. Do we not have the right to privacy in our apartments in this country? Or can government official just come in on a bogus complaint and look over what ever they want? Again, if I were home, I would have ignored them...

They can come by and you can be stupid and let them in. Several months back the AFIP did a huge raid on places in Once where they went and inspected for workers en negro and other workplace violations. The merchants who just closed up shop had nothing happen to them because the business was closed when the government came by to inspect. The people who got nailed are the ones who let the gov't in and answered their questions.

nicoenarg said:
Not a fan of British spelling myself but either you don't know that that spelling's correct or you're just being immature here.

Maybe read his post about me before going into attack mode?

Mitch said:
Maybe read his post about me before going into attack mode?

Oh no it doesn't matter what he wrote before or what you wrote. I was just pointing out your seemingly immature comment. It kinda reminded me of kids commenting on youtube...when they don't have any argument, they start telling others how they don't know how to spell.

Whatever beef you two have has nothing to do with my comment.

nicoenarg said:
Oh no it doesn't matter what he wrote before or what you wrote. I was just pointing out your seemingly immature comment. It kinda reminded me of kids commenting on youtube...when they don't have any argument, they start telling others how they don't know how to spell.

Whatever beef you two have has nothing to do with my comment.

I pointed out his spelling mistake only because he labeled me as stupid.
Obviously it mattered to me to at least some degree, that is why I responded. If it does not matter to you what either one of us wrote, than why comment at all? Maybe it would not have seemed as immature if you took the time to read the complete exchange. Why bud in and comment if the facts are not important to you?

Speaking of kids on the net, you appear all snippety in the comfort of your home behind a keyboard. Please respond if you would like to continue this new bout of immaturity. I´m kinda getting a haughty vibe from you and that you are above it all. Save your pot shots for someone that has not figured you out in a few sentences.

BA sucks. We don't get what we pay for. Good for you having the strength to leave. I think we stay here for the wrong reasons. This place is conducive to no reaction to anything.

Mitch said:
Why bud in and comment if the facts are not important to you?

I am curious about the use of the word "bud" here.

I am from Illinois an would have used the word but or butt here.

Does bud mean the same thing?

I thought "bud" only referred to friends or flowers. :D

Mitch said:
I pointed out his spelling mistake only because he labeled me as stupid.
Obviously it mattered to me to at least some degree, that is why I responded. If it does not matter what either one of us wrote, than why comment at all? Maybe it would not have seemed as immature if you took the time to read the complete exchange. Why bud in and comment if the facts are not important to you?

Speaking of kids on the net, you appear all snippety in the comfort of your home behind a keyboard. Please respond if you would like to continue this new bout of immaturity. I am here for you.

I think you're completely missing the point here (and we're getting completely sidetracked but yeah), his spelling was correct, it was not a mistake at all. It's the British way of spelling "learned". Maybe look it up before you go correcting others. That's all I was pointing out. The rest of your comment, or his comment for that matter, is irrelevant to me.

Back