Oh Argentina. The art of the rip-off

MizzMarr

Registered
Argentina has been hard on my glasses. I came down here with two pairs. One burned up an apartment fire a couple of years go, and the second broke at the bridge during a sleeing accident on the airplane ride back from the States (being blind between Santiago and Buenos Aires was awesome) in June. We were able to glue the frames back together, and since I'm a slacker and didn't want to spend the money I'm just now getting around to buying a new pair of frames/lenses.

So. This afternoon I went out shopping for glasses frames (in Caballito/Flores). I went into one store and found a pair of frames that I liked. The woman told me that with OSDE she could give me a 10% discount if I paid in cash. The frames I liked would be $590, and the lenses would be $245 and 590 total (with discount) if I wanted the anti-glare lense. So, grand total of almost $1200 pesos. I really liked them but decided to keep looking. A little later one I wandered into a store and found the same pair (later learned that it was the same chain), so I asked out of curiosity what the price was.
The guy offered me 20% discount with OSDE, regardless of cash or debit (but one payment). With insurance discount the frames cost $500 and anti glare lenses $220. The guy said 'me caye bien' and offered a discount at $700 pesos. I realized when he was writing up the estimate that I was in another branch of the same store. So $500 extra for the same pair of glasses!! Unbelievable. That lady would have taken home a pretty little bonus had I fallen prey to her little scam! Cash only, eh? Welcome to Argentina. Needless to say, I bought the second pair. Sheesh. I'm still processing that this happened, and debating going back with my receipt and asking the original clerk about her numbers.

I think you are getting it all wrong, that is not a scam, that is called free market and capitalism! Give me break!

Really? It was the same chain store.
ETA: I think that the first clerk was trying to scam me and pocket the extra cash. Otherwise, why offer me less of a discount and insist on cash only? It obviously wasn't store policy.

I still don´t think it is a rip off, and some chain stores carry offers for specific locations. And even if the first place asked for cash only they would have had to give you an invoice/receipt

nikad said:
I still don´t think it is a rip off, and some chain stores carry offers for specific locations. And even if the first place asked for cash only they would have had to give you an invoice/receipt

I edited the original post to include that it was the same store chain. The prices in no way has to do with a discount that was being offered at the store location. Also, just because I may be given a receipt doesn't mean that if I'm paying in cash that the invoice may not be altered. I've been here too long to believe that everything gets reported in the white, documented on paper or not. Regardless, I wanted to share my experience and hope that this should serve as a fair warning for people to watch out, and shop around!

That's a huge discrepancy and if it's the same chain - that's pretty crazy. I would be upset as well. I would go back to the first store and speak to a manager and ask her/him to explain exactly why you were quoted that much higher of a price for the same pair of glasses.

The cash thing is pretty normal - almost all the stores I go to regularly give me a 10 or 15% discount if I pay in cash.

I believe that that is a rip-off.

I am sorry but there is no way you can spin it, in any country, culture or case. Maybe it is not so much a scam because, from Argentina I will happily believe any wild fluctuation of price between identical items under the same flag in different locations. With my contact lenses I usually spend a week hunting round all the stores for a good price. One day a store will quote me 230 pesos a box, next time 3 days later 180 pesos. Then I will go back to the same store 3 months later and they will quote 270 pesos a box. So the cycle starts again.

It isn't good business but in the long run they maybe do well out of it from people who cant find the will nor time to consult factory prices on-line, add the tax, and then visit 5-10 different outlets to find the right price and argue it down some more. Luckily, I do not have a full time job. -Not sure whether I am proud or slightly ashamed smiley-

Supply and demand. Tha is what it is. Some items are in higher demand at some locations, so prices are higher. Chinos in Recoleta are more expensive than chinos in Villa Lugano, and they are the same coop. Supermarket branches have diff daily offers. Supply and demand. I still do not think it is a scam or rip off. Shopping for a good deal is a basic worldwide, I do not see where the crazy rip off is.

Here's an inside tip, the reason why stores offer discounts for cash is this - these are the fees deducted from the sale if you pay by credit card:

1) 1,2% impuesto al debito/credito
2) 21% of the profit (IVA - Impuesto al Valor Agregado)
3) 3% ingresos brutos
4) AND the merchant has to wait 18 yes 18 business days for the money to be paid out by VISA, Mastercard or American Express, 3 business days for debit cards.
5) AND the sale is now "blanqueado" A/K/A "on the books" so there are no way for them to avoid any of the above mentioned taxes plus the wait for the money.

So next time you want to complain about not getting the same deal as paying in cash.......NOW you know!

Back