Oh Argentina. The art of the rip-off

I understand about paying in cash. I was told at the first location that the discount was 10% if I used OSDE and paid in cash. At the second location I was told the discount was 20% if I used OSDE and paid either cash or debit in one payment. These stores are fewer than ten blocks away from each other.

Regardless of cash payment or not, how can one set of (the same) anti-glare lenses cost $200 pesos where the others cost closer to 600? That's just crazy.

At any rate, since I got the better deal I wasn't so muchas upset as Amused Again at Business Practices in Argentina. Just thought I'd share!

I'm still wondering about the sleeping accident on the plane that resulted in the broken glasses in the first place. There's a story there...

mobri1130 said:
I'm still wondering about the sleeping accident on the plane that resulted in the broken glasses in the first place. There's a story there...

Haha, well. Sleeping on a plane in coach. Hooked the glasses on the magazine pouch, but apparently kicked them or something while I slept. When I woke up in Santiago to find them on the floor and broken at the bridge. Really not all that exciting, other than my contacts were in my luggage which I couldn't pick up until BA so stumbled around the Santiago airport, through screenings, etc., almost completely blind holding up one lens of my glasses to look through. Good times! I guess that will teach me not to put them in a protective case... ;)

Anywayy... *whistle*

Call OSDE. You pay for their service. They could give you some advice. It's worth a try, at least.

Davidglen77 said:
Here's an inside tip, the reason why stores offer discounts for cash is this - these are the fees deducted from the sale if you pay by credit card:

1) 1,2% impuesto al debito/credito
2) 21% of the profit (IVA - Impuesto al Valor Agregado)
3) 3% ingresos brutos
4) AND the merchant has to wait 18 yes 18 business days for the money to be paid out by VISA, Mastercard or American Express, 3 business days for debit cards.
5) AND the sale is now "blanqueado" A/K/A "on the books" so there are no way for them to avoid any of the above mentioned taxes plus the wait for the money.

So next time you want to complain about not getting the same deal as paying in cash.......NOW you know!

Since i pay for everything possible by credit card that actually explains a lot lol thanks

I asked at a lot of opticas before I ordered new glasses. Maybe you know the very famous Pförtner, a former german optica. There, the prices where exactly double for the same glasses, same brand etc. So you see, it is a free market and you have to compare the prices before. It is the same with everything.

MizzMarr said:
I understand about paying in cash. I was told at the first location that the discount was 10% if I used OSDE and paid in cash. At the second location I was told the discount was 20% if I used OSDE and paid either cash or debit in one payment. These stores are fewer than ten blocks away from each other.

Regardless of cash payment or not, how can one set of (the same) anti-glare lenses cost $200 pesos where the others cost closer to 600? That's just crazy.

At any rate, since I got the better deal I wasn't so muchas upset as Amused Again at Business Practices in Argentina. Just thought I'd share!

Oh you poor little lamb ;) Argentines are ripping you off lol . As if they are any different to your people from the USA who have ripped the heart and lungs out of the world. The bank scams which has sent millions into poverty in the USA are just one aspect of your society .

What about the costs of medicine in the USA which is the leading cause of bankruptcy . Now that is a scam and huge .

http://www.prisonplanet.com/18-ridi...-mad-you-will-want-to-tear-your-hair-out.html

OH but the USA people are so dignified and so honest . :D

Julia--I'm curious if the prices were double in a different Pförtner optica branch? I'd expect huge variance in prices between different chains, and maybe even different barrios, but this one was surprising to me.

As to the rest, Ok,whatever guys, it is what it is. I was mostly amused by this discrepancy since it was the same store chain, same pair of glasses, same pair of lenses, and stores a few blocks away from each other with a price difference of nearly six hundred pesos. First time I've seen quite that much of a price disparity on a regular item in the 5 years I've been here. Since this is retail shopping experience in one neighborhood and not haggling or car shopping I just thought I'd share the experience here on the boards and figured people might be amused or remember how important it is to do due diligence. I 'd have done and felt the same no matter where this happened. Cheers.

I don't let customers pay in just one cuota anymore and I give discount for cash.
The banks/credit card companies are a joke, not to mention what the state takes from you every time a deposit arrives in your bank account.
I need a lie down :)

AkBill said:
Since i pay for everything possible by credit card that actually explains a lot lol thanks

And wait, there'e even more fees to the business. Just to have the postnet device costs $138,00 per month, bank account maintenance fees for a commercial checking account are around $130,00 per month (which you MUST have if you are getting money from credit card payments).

And then the bank charges you additional commissions for each card about $20,00 per month per card, so $20,00 for AMEX, $20,00 for VISA, $20,00 for Argencard, $20,00 for Mastercard. $20,00 for Tarjeta Shopping, $20,00 for CABAL so even if you have 0 transactions from any one of these cards in a month they STILL charge you the fees, it's incredible what it costs here to conduct business, and how predatory the banks are in charging fees. It's endless.

Back