Oh Argentina. The art of the rip-off

This is common--sometimes it takes awhile to get money from the insurance, so they offer a "discount" and sometimes even get full-price back from your insurance. (In my case Swiss Medical gives me one free pair per year, but local stores offer me a 50% discount. When I called them out on it they said, "oh, you have one of those better Swiss Medical plans, not the common one.")

And yes, nikad, it IS a rip-off because they get what you paid, plus what the insurance reimburses.

va2ba said:
Depending on what the frames were, you were still ripped off big time.

My wife's uncle makes glasses and she tells me that he could have made those glasses for 200 or 300 pesos (depending on the lenses).

Where/How does your wife recommend buying say philippe starck frames and a prescription progressive lens? And what does she think the price would be?

Actually do your math before you pay in cash as extracting your funds out of atms here is very costly and sometimes the same rate as the discount you are getting.

In terms of feeling ripped off, well its survival of the fittest here.

It trains your street smarts after a while.

Lee said:
and return with those annoying mouse ears for the annoying kids

The cherry on top of the cake. :D

I don't know about electronics in general, but I'm a musician and know a large number of items I could order to the States, pick at Aduana, pay for all the taxes and fees if I want to be a good citizen :rolleyes:, and still save up to 25%.

Back