Ok Buenos Aires here we come...

Janet and Chad

I hope you enjoy your stay here.Have you lived outside of the states before?If not youre in for some surprises,both pleasant and otherwise.Be prepared for things that you take for granted back home to be hard to come by here.This isnt location specific,rather a case of Americans not really understanding that most of the world is far behind on everything from services in a restaurant to reliable internet to safety to banking headaches,etc...

I would also recommend HIGHLY a working knowledge of Spanish.For me this has been the hardest part about living here.

Im sure if you use the search button you can find many threads RE: property for sale,however be aware of the date posted as prices in all areas(and not just real estate) here seem to be on a steady rise.

Livivng here is cool but it also presents many challenges and had I not lived in many countries previous to arriving here I might find it a bit overwhelming.

Good luck

French jurist said:
Well, to bring you with at least an answer, the best & cheapest way to go to Iguazu is by bus. Distance is about 900 miles so I guess that it's a 15 or 16 hours trip. Bus station is in the Retiro area of Capital as you certainly know.

I don't know which companies go there but one point for sure : take the best possible bus (the ones who offer beds with some quite of privacy...).
I don't know the price but it should cost around 300 pesos for the R/T.

Welcome to Argentina when you do arrive !

you can use this site:www.plataforma10.com

Janet, don't be discouraged by negative posts in this forum. People who take the trouble to get acquainted with the locals like it here. But some came primarily because it was so cheap - now it is not so cheap, and they are disgruntled and much prone to complaining.

I moved here from Washington, D.C., and in my view it's all a matter of trade-offs. Some things are better, some are worse. However, it is a good idea to rent at least for six months before taking the plunge. Even if you decide to move to Argentina, you may like Mendoza, Salta or Mar del Plata better than Buenos Aires.

Best of luck.

Sara

janet&chad said:
Maybe my intro was not clear, sorry if that's the case. We are excited about living there in Argentina, we are coming to visit and are looking to also do a little site seeing as well as realestate seeing. We know the rules on ownership, have researched several blogs, government websites etc., what we were looking for was a little push in the direction of suggestions on seeing the falls leaving from BA, and also if anyone knew of a person that might want to share some insight while we are there on properties so we can see, smell, touch, so to speak, on the land, areas and people in a few areas we have been looking at via internet.
This site has been a great source of "people and personalities" so we thought it best to ask here.
Maybe this helps clarify what our agenda is, nothing more nothing less, just honest asking, and unless your trying to say something I'm not understanding. Really, just looking for a little friendly assistance... thanks a bunch and still excited...

Great replies thanks so much for them... Spanish not as good as I would hope, but it's ok... we have read over the last year that's so important.
Our goal was to retire somewhere we both liked and to not be in the US... don't really have a specific reason, it's just where we ended up. It being a little cheaper in Argentina was a factor and realizing the increases are taking place, is still within our budgets and plans.
The one thing we have read in all the research was to rent, so Sara thank you for confirming that. Thank the rest of you too for your wonderful sugestions and kind words... love the HAMMOCK part Lee....
This is why we wanted to touch, feel, and see areas so we can begin to dive in an area of total interest and search for a place.
Being that we usually go off the beaten path from a tourist-meaning we don't like the touristy type vacations when we visit places any where in the world, we were looking for a few hints or ideas rather than through all the normal sites.
A bus is way to long to see the falls, so maybe next trip we can go see them.
We have a few options, and suggestions, but would rather here from some of you that we have been reading your posts on...kind of makes it feel like asking friends.
So again, anyone with suggestions please pass them on. We look forward to the world slowing down, things not being like home and discovering a new place we want to call home…. AND a good steak dinner with a great glass of wine too…

janet&chad said:
It being a little cheaper in Argentina was a factor and realizing the increases are taking place, is still within our budgets and plans.

You might be in for a shock, it depends on how you live here but you could find the COL is actually higher than in Texas. You could move to Argentina for a lot of reasons but I don't think saving money would necessarily be one of them.

The local COL is about the same as the States right now, if you own a house and car. However, except for the "uno a uno" decade, Buenos Aires has always been about a third cheaper.

Something to take into consideration is the exchange risk associated with retiring outside the dollar area. For instance, last year a pension indexed to the US' inflation rate would have remained flat, but Argentina's inflation was over 20%. Sooner or later the dollar catches up with inflation, but you must have the resources to wait for that.

I'll have to go dig up the article but the most recent COL study I saw put BsAs on par with Portland, Oregon in terms of overall costs.

Definitely a great idea to come here and stay for a while before deciding to make the permanent move. If I were here to retire, I don't think BsAs would be my first choice, there are a lot of other areas I would look at in Argentina. It's like moving to NYC to retire. Not that its the worst thing but if you're looking to slow down and enjoy life, why do it in a high-stress place?

Back