Ok Buenos Aires here we come...

SaraSara said:
I could not live in France, nor in Europe either - much too cramped, with too many people all bunched together.

There are no wide open spaces like there are in the States, Argentina, or even tiny Uruguay.

Thank goodness Argentina has only three million tourists a year - still to many, in my view.

I agree, and I could add a dozen of other reasons why I would never live in France. (I suppose that one of the reasons it that it is too similar to Belgium and -in the sunny south- packed with Belgians that moved there :eek:).

Always a great place to go on holidays though. I loooove Paris :D

Hi Citygirl,

No I am not there yet- will be in 12 days but did a great deal of research on different aspects of life in Argentina. I have also stressed, in both of my posts, that if one earns USD, Euro or Pound... It is very clear that life is bloody tough in Bs As if earning Argentinian wages, unless some senior executive.

I am very adventurous and lived in different countries all my life but based on experience, I would not try and get a job in a third world country- struggle like the locals do, not that I am wealthy. Each to their own.. This is not a personal attack on anyone.

anatolie said:
It is usually the people that make the place.

You may get lucky and meet wonderful people, as I have...

anatolie said:
I am also looking forward to amazing landscapes of Bolivia, Paraguay and Argentina.

This does not require meeting good people.

Just be sure to bring a good camera so you'll have something to show for your trip.

(If it isn't stolen.)

steveinbsas said:
OK, Buenos Aires is the Paris of Latin America.

Actually, at best it is the Latin American version of Paris.

After the impression of the faux-French facades of the buildings of Recoleta fades what is left?

France has 30 million tourist a year.

Argentina has three million.

Living here is much cheaper than in France, but certainly not by a factor of ten.

The quality of life here isn't nearly as good, either.

If I could afford to live in France, I would.

France has 82 millions of tourists every year (1st touristic destination in the world).

Life here is, like you said, not cheaper by a 10 factor, rather in-between 3 and 4.

French jurist said:
France has 82 millions of tourists every year (1st touristic destination in the world).

Life here is, like you said, not cheaper by a 10 factor, rather in-between 3 and 4.

Last I heard it was 30 million...(probably from an old rerun on the Travel Channel...)

Congratulations on the increase.

Small wonder they treat tourists like shit.

: )) Nice one...

Street crime is one thing I am worried about, won't wear an expensive watch- never bought one, carry much money or bank cards on me or show off a camera and might use my old Nokia just to be safe, no iphones! Not into that sort of stuff anyway.

steveinbsas said:
Last I heard it was 30 million...

Congratulations on the increase.

Small wonder they treat tourists like shit.

I think the french mentality has changed a bit during the past 30 years towards tourists so some cliches may be outdated.

One or two generations ago, it was certainly more difficult for a tourist in France (few people speaking a foreign language, ..).

Right now, a majority speaks at least english and eventually a third language.

Even the mentality "we are the cream of the civilized world" may be changing a little in France with more humility (still, this aspect remains quite strong).

French jurist said:
I think the french mentality has changed a bit during the past 30 years towards tourists so some cliches may be outdated.

One or two generations ago, it was certainly more difficult for a tourist in France (few people speaking a foreign language, ..).

Right now, a majority speaks at least english and eventually a third language.

Even the mentality "we are the cream of the civilized world" may be changing a little in France with more humility (still, this aspect remains quite strong).

I agree that the French (in general) can speak English, but I must say that in often they prefer not to. Which I can understand if you realise that it is the most touristy country in the world.

I have been going to the south of France every summer during my whole life, and the changes in the last 10 years are spectacular. There were tourists were quite 'rare' in the past (exept for the Dutch, the German and the Belgians), I would say that (looking at the cars) in the month of july and august about 10 or 20% are actually from that regon and others come from all over Europe, including Spain, Finland and even Russia.

Most of these tourists (generaly) don't go to France for the people, but for the sun and the beach. Most of these tourists don't speak French. If the French are not so friendly to tourists? I understand...

Perhaps the Op should consider going to France instead of BA...as that's where this thread has gone.

They would probably be "safer" there.

I hope it is not as dangerous as they make it out to be.

My car got stolen twice in 'very safe' Australia in a short time- in Brisbane then in Sydney.

Back