On The Subject Of Traffic

The only thing that still scares me are those old pick-up trucks from the fincas that are overloaded with produce and enter the freeway with only 10 kph - while everybody else is driving 100 kph and more. When one of those enters the highway right in front of you - then your life starts flashing before your eyes. Also with no mandatory car inspection here in Mendoza - there are some really scary vehicles on the road.
This is true in all of Argentina

- You just made something terrible while driving, another driver is mad at you, what do you do?
A- You apologize and admit your mistake, then you apologize again.
B- You look at the other driver and join together your thumb and forefinger, then you make a repeated movement up and down while pronouncing phonetically KE-TE-PA-SA.
Anwser: B (optional: you can stare at the other driver like if he had just stared the butt of your mother). (optional number 2: if the other driver doesn’t like your original sense of humor, you tell him with your strong foreign accent “porque no te vas a tu pais?”… That should definitely answer the question about who has the most original sense of humor).

Option 3: You stare at the other driver, as if it were his fault, and you exchange "La co**** de tu madre" .. and off you go ..... everybody is on his merry way. (Most popular)

I just learned to drive a stick shift and now that I'm comfortable, driving here is all good. Except I hate it in the big avenues (was just on Cordoba a few minutes ago) where there are no lanes so everyone is kind of riding between arbitrary lanes like they can't make their mind up, trying to avoid the person with hazard lights who is double parking, or trying to BE the person about the double park. Also the potholes but hey, I guess it could be worse!!!

I just learned to drive a stick shift and now that I'm comfortable, driving here is all good. Except I hate it in the big avenues (was just on Cordoba a few minutes ago) where there are no lanes so everyone is kind of riding between arbitrary lanes like they can't make their mind up, trying to avoid the person with hazard lights who is double parking, or trying to BE the person about the double park. Also the potholes but hey, I guess it could be worse!!!

Did you say lanes? Double lane driving here is synonymous to double car garage. It's a status of the well to do. Why don't you know that?

I also love it when they drive with their left arm dangling from left window. Very curious, what is the purpose of this ritual? Help any one?

Did you say lanes? Double lane driving here is synonymous to double car garage. It's a status of the well to do. Why don't know that?

I also love it when they drive with their left hand dangling from left window. What is the purpose of doing that? Does any one know?

You don't get it, it's top notch aerodynamics engineering.

The only thing that still scares me are those old pick-up trucks from the fincas that are overloaded with produce and enter the freeway with only 10 kph - while everybody else is driving 100 kph and more. When one of those enters the highway right in front of you - then your life starts flashing before your eyes. Also with no mandatory car inspection here in Mendoza - there are some really scary vehicles on the road.

I've seen rattletrap Fiats with no headlights or taillights on the northbound freeway into Mendoza - at night.

On ruta 5 watch out for old pickup trucks towing a small tank with 1500 liters of fuel, no tail lights, taking fuel for the harvest machines .... Varrrooooom !!

speaking of driving and cars...i HATE TRAPOS! i can't stand them, I'm at my wits end with those assholes!!!!! and i sware they are multi-plying like cockroaches! a few years back, there were way less, and you gave a tip, like a donation, now they demand a certain amount, like they own the place! grrrrrr, it pisses me off! last night i went to meet some friends for dinner in palermo hollywood, and there were at least 2 on every block, i went early parked the car, and the trapo says" te cuento, hoy cobramos 30 pesos", i was like, really? do you own this street? anyways i didnt pay him and found another parking, super annoying, i can handle traffic, aggressive drivers, but I'm soooo over trapos!!!!! i wish the city would do something!
im not into giving someone money, so they won't trash my car!

speaking of driving and cars...i HATE TRAPOS! i can't stand them, I'm at my wits end with those assholes!!!!! and i sware they are multi-plying like cockroaches! a few years back, there were way less, and you gave a tip, like a donation, now they demand a certain amount, like they own the place! grrrrrr, it pisses me off! last night i went to meet some friends for dinner in palermo hollywood, and there were at least 2 on every block, i went early parked the car, and the trapo says" te cuento, hoy cobramos 30 pesos", i was like, really? do you own this street? anyways i didnt pay him and found another parking, super annoying, i can handle traffic, aggressive drivers, but I'm soooo over trapos!!!!! i wish the city would do something!
im not into giving someone money, so they won't trash my car!

Every time they try to charge you go online and fill out a denucia.

http://www.fiscalias.gob.ar/denuncia-enlinea/

Nothing will happen right away but it makes you (or at least me) feel a bit better .

Back