One Way Ticket

If there should be a real issue, it's always possible to buy a hugely overpriced business class ticket and refund it after arriving.

Not necessary.

Just buy the cheapest ticket available from orbitz and then give back after arriving within 24 hours of buying it.

I recently entered with no return ticket. The woman at the check in desk for Aerolineas Argentina in MIA inquired as to why I didn't have a return ticket. I also had a copy of a ferry ticket to Uruguay with me. She didn't seem to believe me. Then she called her supervisor, but he said it was fine and checked me in. Immigrations waved me through no problems.

Looking back, I would buy a 2-way to save stress..

That is not correct.

The 24-hour window is a completely different animal, it is mandated by US law (regulation if you want to be pedantic), and has nothing to do with the class of fare or type of ticket. (American Airlines implements it differently though, which is why I only mentioned United and Delta).

I don't know "what is not correct"! Everything you say on this forum is "correct" only? Rest of us here are twiddling our thumbs sitting on our respective Pcs and don't know nothing about nothing?

One need not travel in a US airline or be a US immigrant or purchase a ticket out of USA or be any way connected to USA to do what I have referred to in my earlier post. And some of the agents offering this 24 hour refund are not connected to USA in any way.Some are registered in Uk or Isle of Man The world does not start and end with USA. Not everyone traveling to BA is coming from USA or going back from BA to USA.

Exactly as I was the one who said this, in my post yesterday :-

The 24-hour window has nothing to do with the class of fare or type of ticket.

I would not rely on any of the US airlines to reimburse me despite what they say as they use the word "may be eligible for refund". While the agents have a "no questions asked" policy. Recently, I purchased a ticket on United to go to the Houston from BA and wanted to cancel it within 5 minutes of buying it as I received a "change of plans" phone call. United said, its not eligible for the 24 hours refund policy for some jackass reason.

I recently entered with no return ticket. The woman at the check in desk for Aerolineas Argentina in MIA inquired as to why I didn't have a return ticket.

No immigration ever has a problem. Its always the airlines as they fear a fine and having to fly you back to your point of origin at their cost and hence all the hassles. The funny thing is that they seem to scrutinize the passport etc for authenticity much more than the immigration itself.

I've entered Argentina at least three times and flown back out on one way tickets (during a time of personal turmoil) and never once got asked about this.
As a tourist, they simply gave me the 60 or 90 days or whatever and that was that.

I don't know "what is not correct"! Everything you say on this forum is "correct" only? Rest of us here are twiddling our thumbs sitting on our respective Pcs and don't know nothing about nothing?

Um, whoa. I'm sorry I can't refer you to anyone who could help with self-esteem issues or anger management.
I did not say anything about what you sit on or twiddle, and have no further comment in that regard.

The money quote from your earlier post was (emphasis added):

The "no questions cancellation" within 24 hours is done by Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap tickets and a1-2 more agents and NOT by the airlines itself.

With the airlines, one has to purchase the highest price ticket and even then its kind of a gamble. With the agents, its never a gamble as long one returns it in 24 hours even if its the cheapest priced ticket.

That is in fact not true, as the links I posted make clear. I didn't say there's anything wrong with agents or anyone else, just that the airlines - specifically, United and Delta - do cancel within 24 hours, and in fact are obligated to do so by the Department of Transportation. If you prefer Expedia, go for it.

One need not travel in a US airline or be a US immigrant or purchase a ticket out of USA or be any way connected to USA to do what I have referred to in my earlier post. And some of the agents offering this 24 hour refund are not connected to USA in any way.Some are registered in Uk or Isle of Man The world does not start and end with USA. Not everyone traveling to BA is coming from USA or going back from BA to USA.

Um, yeah. Whatever.

Exactly as I was the one who said this, in my post yesterday :-

The 24-hour window has nothing to do with the class of fare or type of ticket.

Actually, what you said about a ticket purchased from United/Delta is (emphasis added): With the airlines, one has to purchase the highest price ticket and even then its kind of a gamble.
As the airlines themselves make clear, that is not true - a ticket purchased in any class can be cancelled within 24 hours for any reason.

I would not rely on any of the US airlines to reimburse me despite what they say as they use the word "may be eligible for refund". While the agents have a "no questions asked" policy. Recently, I purchased a ticket on United to go to the Houston from BA and wanted to cancel it within 5 minutes of buying it as I received a "change of plans" phone call. United said, its not eligible for the 24 hours refund policy for some jackass reason.

The 'may' refers to some basic T&C that apply, like using a credit card not cash. They are not complicated. Here are United's:

Terms and conditions

• Applies to tickets booked at united.com or with the United Customer Contact Center.​

• The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time your ticket is purchased.​

• Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment, with the exception of purchases made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in the form of electronic travel certificates.​

• Group tickets and tickets purchased using Western Union, cash or e-certificates are excluded.​

• Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.​

• Any FareLock[sup]SM[/sup] fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.​
I cannot speak to your experience but in general the airlines I mentioned are obligated to cancel within 24 hours, and at least in theory are liable to substantial penalties if they do not do so. An employee may have been out of line, it wouldn't be the first time. I've heard my share of horror stories regarding expedia travelocity and the like as well.

No immigration ever has a problem. Its always the airlines as they fear a fine and having to fly you back to your point of origin at their cost and hence all the hassles. The funny thing is that they seem to scrutinize the passport etc for authenticity much more than the immigration itself.

Nothing all that funny about it, even if Argentina is somewhat lax about enforcement (I'd rather doubt the word ever), most countries are not, and have strong leverage in the form of penalties to impose on the airlines. Are airlines supposed to keep a list of which countries' laws are to be taken seriously, and whose not? Their business is transporting people and not getting fined, so they've opted for a policy of 1) getting the countries' rules of who shouldn't be boarding, 2) enforcing them. Imagine that.

Lastly, this is not the first nor the second time that you get pretty worked up over absolutely innocuous comments of mine. I really have no bones to pick with you, you seem to lean towards descending to ad hominem comments, I'd suggest you keep a promise you made once - during a similarly silly spat - to ignore me.

, I'd suggest you keep a promise you made once - during a similarly silly spat - to ignore me.

I coundn't care less what you wrote above. did not bother to read and waste my time and energy

I have a announcement to make :-

"hey world, this poster call Ben...knows everything one needs to know about reimbursing air tickets. Please contact this poster called Ben when ever you have a doubt on reimbursing air tickets"

Happy, Ben?

Made your day, dear Ben?

Now dance in happiness, that you are one-up in this sodding conversation.

You, Ben..are the "go to" person when it comes to any doubts about air tickets reimbursement.

smile..ben..smile!

Dance, ben!

Good Ben!

Now get the hell off my back, you irritating woman.

I coundn't care less what you wrote above. did not bother to read and waste my time and energy

I have a announcement to make :-

"hey world, this poster call Ben...knows everything one needs to know about reimbursing air tickets. Please contact this poster called Ben when ever you have a doubt on reimbursing air tickets"

Happy, Ben?

Made your day, dear Ben?

Now dance in happiness, that you are one-up in this sodding conversation.

You, Ben..are the "go to" person when it comes to any doubts about air tickets reimbursement.

smile..ben..smile!

Dance, ben!

Good Ben!

Now get the hell off my back, you irritating woman.

Um, yeah... Valium, anyone?

Most of this post is really too perfect to even touch. Only wanted to note that the last time you forgot to take your pills, you used the same "I didn't even waste my time and energy to read your stupid post!" line, followed by a long angry post which surely returned to you some of your lost time and energy :

Just in case someone normal gets the wrong idea, I don't AT ALL claim to know everything or be the last word on any subject. Someone put up wrong info, I corrected it. That's it.

As for you, my dear Ceviche, if my basic and not-at-all confrontational correction makes you feel looked down on, I don't care. Like I said, you've already promised to ignore me - do that, or feel free to come back with another delightfully unhinged response.

Back