Opening a bank account

Lanick

Registered
Hello everyone,

Got a quick question to ask; I’m a permanent resident and coming to BsAs in a few days. This time I want to open a bank account. As banks offer many discounts at supermarkets, shops and restaurants etc; would like to know which bank offers more perks? Hate to carry cash all the time as well and would be great to receive some discounts.

Also; can I open an account with a DNI only? Don’t have a bill under my name.

Many thanks

Hello everyone,

Got a quick question to ask; I’m a permanent resident and coming to BsAs in a few days. This time I want to open a bank account. As banks offer many discounts at supermarkets, shops and restaurants etc; would like to know which bank offers more perks? Hate to carry cash all the time as well and would be great to receive some discounts.

Many thanks
You can open a bank account online with only DNI. I have Banco Santander and Banco Nación. While I am very happy with Santander, I don't recommend Banco Nación.

HSBC has the best ATM machines, in my opinion. You can reliably get 15K pesos, when some other banks will only give you 4K

You may also be asked to provide something that shows the source of you income (pay stubs, a bank statement showing Social Security deposits, a benefit leter from the SSA, etc), but at least one expat posted in the last year that he/she was not asked for anyhting like that.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the bank.

I recommend Galicia; I've dealt with BNA/Banco La Nacion, ICBC, Provincia, and Santander, and Galicia is the most competent. If you can show a source of income you can likely qualify for one of their more premiere service packs too.

Thank you everyone for your answers. One thing though; I always see those discount adds be it at restaurants or supermarkets. Which bank debit card offer these discounts most?

You may also be asked to provide something that shows the source of you income (pay stubs, a bank statement showing Social Security deposits, a benefit leter from the SSA, etc), but at least one expat posted in the last year that he/she was not asked for anyhting like that.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the bank.
You describe what was required by BANCO DE LA CIUDAD when I opened an account four years ago. I printed out three months of US account statements showing my social security deposits to qualify for a free peso account with debit card. There are NO service charges and a tiny amount of interest is posted monthly. Home banking is useful for paying bills at home on the screen. Branches are all around the city.

I was at the Av. Belgrano branch recently when I read that account holders who refer a senior citizen for a new account receive $5,000 for their effort, applicable up to five referrals.

Thank you everyone for your answers. One thing though; I always see those discount adds be it at restaurants or supermarkets. Which bank debit card offer these discounts most?
Check the websites of the places where you shop normally and see which bank cards offer the biggest discounts. For example, if you buy your groceries in Coto, and it is one of your major spending categories go to

and check "DESCUENTOS VIGENTES COMPRANDO LOS DÍAS" section.

But after all, it is just a trick to make you buy more.

Back