Opinions about Almagro

andebobandy

Registered
My son's pediatrician is on Bulnes and Sarimiento in Almagro one block from a great park and only a couple of blocks from some very nice shopping streets. It looks to me like a very livable neighborhood. Anyone live there with some info about it, ie. good streets, livability, service, crime, etc...

We are looking to move and want to know if we can consider it as a viable option to the gringo zones.

thanks,
a

I love Almagro, it was my favorite barrio that I've lived in (Recoleta, San Telmo, Las Cañitas, Palermo, Caballito). Bulnes between Cordoba and Corrientes is fantastic. It starts to get a little dodgier and dirtier towards Shopping Abasto (but then again, you change neighborhoods at Abasto, too), but generally speaking it's a great barrio to live. Crime isn't bad, but of course you need to be cautious when walking back streets at night (just like anywhere). All along Lavalle from Abasto down through almagro are theaters, little bars that have live music, etc. Some shopping, a megatlon gym, supermarkets, verdulerias, the subte and because of proximity to Cordoba and Corrientes it's also well connected via bus to other areas in the city. Pretty much anything you could need. Also, although there's plenty of debate as to whether any barrio here is a "real" barrio, to me it feels very authentic with a vibrant cultural flavor. Highly recommend!

I fully agree with Mizzmarr that Almagro is a great barrio with beautiful parts and a excellent bohemiam atmosphere in many corners of this authentic barrio. I walk through this area daily and find it the heart and soul of Buenos Aires with some of the best coffee shops, delis, restaurants and services in Capital.

The area around Abasto shopping is not Almagro but Balvanera.

Almagro near Bulnes and the park Gaston from Cordoba to Rivadavia, Lezica, Angel Pelufo are just some great streets in this neighbourhood.

perry said:
The area around Abasto shopping is not Almagro but Balvanera.
Yes technically balvanera extends all the way to gallao which includes the mall, but the scetchy area near the tracks and plaza almagro definitely goes west of that line

The are in Almagro you will want to avoid is around Diaz Velez Ave towards Parque Centenario ( lots of taken buildings ) and the Parque Centenario surroundings at night ( lots of drug selling activity in the area ) The rest is ok, middle class neighborhood with very good transportation. Avoid Abasto mall surroundings at night, but that is another neighborhood.

nikad said:
The are in Almagro you will want to avoid is around Diaz Velez Ave towards Parque Centenario ( lots of taken buildings ) and the Parque Centenario surroundings at night ( lots of drug selling activity in the area ) The rest is ok, middle class neighborhood with very good transportation. Avoid Abasto mall surroundings at night, but that is another neighborhood.
You make it sound el Abasto area is like the south bronx of the 70s&80s I walked around there at night, no problem whatsoever! maybe because I was raised in nyc in the 80s.. And all of yous lived in midwest suburbs :eek:

BROOKLYN said:
You make it sound el Abasto area is like the south bronx of the 70s&80s I walked around there at night, no problem whatsoever! maybe because I was raised in nyc in the 80s.. And all of yous lived in midwest suburbs :eek:

Yous? is that the northeast version of y'all?

Abasto on correintes isnt bad for me. Towards the tracks of linea sarmiento is much worse.

philipdt said:
yous? Is that the northeast version of y'all?

Abasto on correintes isnt bad for me. Towards the tracks of linea sarmiento is much worse.
:dlmao..................................

MizzMarr said:
I love Almagro, it was my favorite barrio that I've lived in (Recoleta, San Telmo, Las Cañitas, Palermo, Caballito). Bulnes between Cordoba and Corrientes is fantastic. It starts to get a little dodgier and dirtier towards Shopping Abasto (but then again, you change neighborhoods at Abasto, too), but generally speaking it's a great barrio to live. Crime isn't bad, but of course you need to be cautious when walking back streets at night (just like anywhere). All along Lavalle from Abasto down through almagro are theaters, little bars that have live music, etc. Some shopping, a megatlon gym, supermarkets, verdulerias, the subte and because of proximity to Cordoba and Corrientes it's also well connected via bus to other areas in the city. Pretty much anything you could need. Also, although there's plenty of debate as to whether any barrio here is a "real" barrio, to me it feels very authentic with a vibrant cultural flavor. Highly recommend!
I live in Almagro too and I am pretty happy with the neighbourhood as it has much more character and flair than the previous neighbourhood I was living in (Palermo.) You have the Subte passing through Corrientes (B line), plus good bus connections and it is a really nice neighbourhood to walk around: plenty of old little grocery shops, nice and well kept buildings, fine restaurants (a couple of Italian ones I haven't tried yet, some smaller and older family run restaurants) and you are close to everything. I also like Balvanera and I don't find it dangerous at all, the area close to the shopping mall is attractive and particularly multi-ethnic (Peruvians, Bolivians, Central Americans.)

Abasto mall block is ok, I am talking about all the rest of the real Abasto neighborhood, like pasaje Zelaya, Valentin Gomez, etc...

Back