Opinions about Almagro

nikad said:
Abasto mall block is ok, I am talking about all the rest of the real Abasto neighborhood, like pasaje Zelaya, Valentin Gomez, etc...

I don´t know if this is the same area as you are talking about, but there is an area of abasto/balvanera that is really very sketchy, which is the area between Perón and Corrientes, on streets like ecuador, jean jaures, etc, like just a couple blocks you away from the Once train station. I wouldn´t want to hang out around this area at night - yikes. I used to live on Plaza Once and wuold walk home from work with my laptop down this area, and it gave me the the creepers doing that.

Anyway the Abasto mall area towards the north going towards Cordoba isn´t terribly pretty but it doesn´t seem that bad, there´s seemingly a lot of traditional jewish people in this area, which doesn´t seem terribly dangerous to me :)

Anyway I live in Almagro at about salguero and diaz velez, and I really love it. So close to Rivadavia and Corrientes, so many buses stop right in front of my door. Tons of local supermarkets, verdulerias, etc, and even a coto a few blocks away. Prices are also much more reasonable than in more upscale neighborhoods. I´d say it´s a nice average middle class neighborhood and very centrally located. My only complaint would actually be that its TOO central, particularly if you live on an avenue, meaning not as much peace and quiet as in the less central neighborhoods....

nikad said:
The are in Almagro you will want to avoid is around Diaz Velez Ave towards Parque Centenario ( lots of taken buildings ) and the Parque Centenario surroundings at night ( lots of drug selling activity in the area ) The rest is ok, middle class neighborhood with very good transportation. Avoid Abasto mall surroundings at night, but that is another neighborhood.

What uninformed posting...I live on the corner of Diaz Velez and Otamendi right in front of Parque Centennario and we currently have houses for sales on our street at $500k..I havent seen one "taken building" in the area on this side of Diaz Velez so I think you´re confusing it with other Almagro areas that are more at Medrano level. What I will say is that the unregulated/uncontrolled ferias in Parque Centennario mean a quite different set of people there at weekend than the usual residents which makes for uncomfortable browsing if you are clearly a foreigner..I always laugh at the markets selling 1 used shoe and I doubt that its into darker dealings as Nikad suggests.

fifs2 said:
What uninformed posting...I live on the corner of Diaz Velez and Otamendi right in front of Parque Centennario and we currently have houses for sales on our street at $500k..I havent seen one "taken building" in the area on this side of Diaz Velez so I think you´re confusing it with other Almagro areas that are more at Medrano level. What I will say is that the unregulated/uncontrolled ferias in Parque Centennario mean a quite different set of people there at weekend than the usual residents which makes for uncomfortable browsing if you are clearly a foreigner..I always laugh at the markets selling 1 used shoe and I doubt that its into darker dealings as Nikad suggests.
The prices are are still high in the area, I was not talking about real estate. Try Salguero and Diaz Velez for example for taken buildings ( entire buildings ). Palestina and Humahuaca, Aguero, Jean Jaures, Ecuador close to the railroad. Most of my friends from high school live in the area, and we visit each other regularly, have been to the neighborhood for well over 30 years. Yes, maybe I am uninformed ;) Overall it is a busy, nice and safe neighborhood, but there are some small specific areas that are to avoid for expats especially. I did not mean the area was unsafe. I give it a 7.5/10.

nikad said:
The prices are are still high in the area, I was not talking about real estate. Try Salguero and Diaz Velez for example for taken buildings ( entire buildings ). Palestina and Humahuaca, Aguero, Jean Jaures, Ecuador close to the railroad. Most of my friends from high school live in the area, and we visit each other regularly, have been to the neighborhood for well over 30 years. Yes, maybe I am uninformed ;) Overall it is a busy, nice and safe neighborhood, but there are some small specific areas that are to avoid for expats especially. I did not mean the area was unsafe. I give it a 7.5/10.

Um, I live on the corner of Salguero and Diaz Velez and it´s really a very quiet nice area. I don´t ever feel scared here, my neighborhors are all middle-class middle-aged Argentines. It is true that sometimes at night at this part of Diaz velez you will sometimes see groups of boys sitting outside drinking beer. It´s not a pretty sight but I´ve never been threatened by them...I´ve also seen this in Palermo anyway, so I´m not sure that it´s relevant.

I think the area gets a lot uglier if you go a towards Jean Jaures and those areas. Medrano and Diaz Velez is really quiet and I find it quite pretty...

nikad said:

Agreed Nikad but as your original post mentioned the insecurity of areas near Parque centeannario it is worth knowing that Salguero and diaz velez isnt really that near parque centennario to make it worth mentioning...

KatharineAnn said:
Um, I live on the corner of Salguero and Diaz Velez and it´s really a very quiet nice area. I don´t ever feel scared here, my neighborhors are all middle-class middle-aged Argentines. It is true that sometimes at night at this part of Diaz velez you will sometimes see groups of boys sitting outside drinking beer. It´s not a pretty sight but I´ve never been threatened by them...I´ve also seen this in Palermo anyway, so I´m not sure that it´s relevant.

I think the area gets a lot uglier if you go a towards Jean Jaures and those areas. Medrano and Diaz Velez is really quiet and I find it quite pretty...
i wish u guys would have lived in nyc in the 80s..with the crack epidemic going on. bsas isnt that bad

I live near to Plaza Almagro and love it here. Previously I have lived in Botanico, Palermo Viejo and Soho, Tribunales and San Telmo.

This is by far my favourite place.

There are banks and super markets and actual useful stores that are not over-priced bars, cafés and boutiques (sorry, Soho).

Great transportation and I feel more like I am actually living here more than ever. Before I only ever felt like a transient and outsider.

My friends from San Telmo nor Palermo nor Recoleta don't complain about coming over to visit.

We have the kids drinking and smoking weed on the doorsteps of the street. I ask them to move if they are on my door step. We know each other and chat briefly. They don't have anywhere to go to do what I did when I was their age.

Whilst on the house hunt for here, I turned up my nose at Almagro, which was due to a misconception about its locality and Honda.

I can not quite place exactly how it is better, but I am much happier here.

I recommend getting a bike too if you are here; there are some good cycle lanes and access to interesting parts of the city.

rrptownley said:
I live near to Plaza Almagro and love it here. Previously I have lived in Botanico, Palermo Viejo and Soho, Tribunales and San Telmo.

This is by far my favourite place.

Visteeeeeee...

:p

Just one piece of advice: avoid Bertolomé Mitre street at night.
I was almost mugged 2 years ago. I had just moved and was not quite acquainted with the "Street codes" at the time. XD

Back