Orange Marmalade

Redpossum

Registered
The La Campagnola BC is painfully lame.
The regular La Campagnola is as good as any orange marmalade I have ever had outside the UK.

The BC line is, I think, supposed to be La Campagnola's "healthier" line of products, and generally pretty good. But in this case they've dropped the ball completely.

I'm very wary of things that claim to be a healthy alternative to something people have been eating happily for years. They usually mean low sugar in the case of jams and marmalades but as sugar is a "working" ingredient, it takes a lot of other ingredients to make it work and as they say, if your grandmother wouldn't recognise what's in the jam, you'd best avoid it.

We make our own. No orange ever tastes like a Spanish Seville so we only use the locally available ones in 3-fruit recipes. Lime is good but needs a lot of pre cooking. Friends in the province have more lemons than they know what to do with so we make a lot of lemon or lemon & ginger. It's a bit time consuming but very easy and absolutely delicious.

The story goes that a Spanish merchantman filled with a cargo of Seville oranges was caught in a great storm in the English Channel, and ran before the wind into a port in Scotland. The ship was too battered by the storm to go anywhere before being extensively repaired, and her captain had his cargo holds full of oranges in danger of going to rot, so he sold his entire cargo cheaply to a Scottish merchant. The Scotsman had his wife and daughters boil them up with sugar, and orange marmalade was born.

Or so the story is told. It may or may not be true, but then a bard's truth is not the same as yours or mine.

Whether or not it's true it's a good story and the Scottish makers are the more famous amongst our islands.

The best marmalade is found in the San Telmo Market at a very small stall/ storefront - in the row near the center( near Je suis Raclette) - Marguerites jams are the best - her sour orange, grapefruit and cherry are my faves.All made by her w love

The best marmalade is found in the San Telmo Market at a very small stall/ storefront - in the row near the center( near Je suis Raclette) - Marguerites jams are the best - her sour orange, grapefruit and cherry are my faves.All made by her w love
The best anything comes from here:

Lately I've been buying different mamelades at health food stores and I find them much tastier than the ones usually found at supermarkets.

We make our own marmalade using those bitter oranges you find on the trees on the side of the road! It turns out fantastic. I use the following recipe but substitute the lemons and limes for oranges. It's worked well for me, anyway. Enjoy!

(To find fruit trees on public space in your area, check out the following map: https://www.arboladourbano.com/)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Expat Life 12
Rich One Expat Life 10
J Food and Drink 1
Back