osde health insurance

amat

Registered
HI,

I've been looking into health insurance and have gotten some quotes from Swiss and Medicus. however a few local people have said OSDE is better, and one said Swiss medical adds fees, raises rates, etc. The lowest rate I got so far is $121 USD per month for 2 people with small copay of 8 to 16 pesos - this is the "young couple" rate for me and my husband. I don't think that's bad, but my company will cover it and they're pushing me to find something cheaper.

Is anyone currently using OSDE and if so, would you mind sharing the rates you are paying?

Also, I easily got the info from Swiss and Medicus via email but Osde hasn't responded - probably because I requested any emails/calls to be in English! :) If I go into the Osde office, do you knw if there will be English speaking reps?

thanks so much for your help!

OSDE is the premier health insurance company here, however keep in mind that there are different levels of coverage that range from about $150 to $800 pesos per month. What you should do is compare the coverages offered by the different "obra sociales" as they call health insurance here and see if it's worth the additional cost out of pocket for you.

I am 52 and pay over $1000.usd per month for my health insurance in the USA. 800 pesos sounds incredibly cheap. I assume it would be much more expensive for an old fart like me.

I am 40 and have OSDE (the rate is the same for everyone 36 and up, including old people like TJ), my payment is 543 pesos and my wife who is almost 36 is 333 pesos per month.

There is only one catch, for me, to OSDE, not quoted anywhere in their online site.....they only accept people up to 64...I am a happy senior....unhappily disqualified. My options have been quoted at $1200 PESOS a month....not exactly a good rate, by Swiss Medical and Alemen Hospital. I understand that the Italian Hospital, out in one of the provinces, gives a decent rate, $640 a month, mas o menos, for full coverage. Is there anyone out there who can give further enlightenment?

It must be up to 64 only for foreigners -- my boyfriend's parents are both on OSDE and they are hitting 64 this year and I've heard no talk of being thrown out. Do you have pre-existing conditions? Perhaps they won't take 64+ if you do?

Anyway one thing to be aware of is that whatever you're getting quoted for with whatever company now will no longer be valid in 3-6 months. Thre's no regulations on these companies so they hike their prices a good 30% every year. There's been another hike on prepagos this month. I started 2 years ago with OSDE at just under 200 pesos, now I pay over 300 pesos. I'm on the lowest level plan.

However, the hospitals that they deal with here are very nice. If you're pregnant / thinking to get pregnant I believe you do have to be with OSDE for a certain amount of time before they will cover your pregnancy care -- as I understand it if you go to them already pregnant they look upon it as a pre-existing condition.

syngirl said:
It must be up to 64 only for foreigners -- my boyfriend's parents are both on OSDE and they are hitting 64 this year and I've heard no talk of being thrown out. Do you have pre-existing conditions? Perhaps they won't take 64+ if you do?

They do not take you if you are over 64 and want to get insured, but if you turn 64+ while already being insured by them they will cover you without any age restrictions.

Thanks for all your answers. I guess the quote I got from Swiss for 450 pesos for both me and my husband is pretty good then. (I think it's also an under 36yrs price as well)
But I might as well check OSDE out to compare! I'll post the outcome just so other newcomers can see.

I'm 38, healthy, and recently got a quote from Swiss Medical for the following monthly plans:
International coverage, no co-pay: 527 pesos (477 pesos + 10.5% IVA tax)
- with co-pay: 440 pesos (398 pesos + tax)
Domestic (Argentina) coverage, no co-pay: 333 pesos
- with co-pay 8 pesos: 287 pesos

Were the quotes listed elsewhere on this thread inclusive of taxes and for international or domestic coverage only? Thanks for the info.

Davidglen, OSDE is quite good. I would say that OMINT is a more prestigious insurer, however. Of course one can argue as to which plans are the best. There are fewer options for those in their 60's or over however there are options.

Back