Overstay Fee With Precaria?

pitipur

Registered
Hey all - me again :) I tried to search this topic but couldn't find anything. My question is - if I've overstayed my tourist visa by a few months, but since received my residencia precaria, do I still need to pay the overstay fee on the original tourist visa? Or is that now completely null and void now that I have temporary residency? I will be taking my precaria doc to the airport with me, but at the same time, the only thing my passport shows is my tourist visa entrance stamp from December.

I'm leaving the country on Thursday and not worried about the $300 and will be bringing it in cash just in case but just trying to budget my time at the airport. Suppose the safest bet is just to arrive a bit earlier to be safe but wondering if anyone else has experience with this specific scenario?

I didn't have to pay it when I was in that situation 3 years ago, but today it could be different. I'm sure someone has more recent experience with it.

I got my permanent residency last year (having overstayed by several months) and traveled a few months later with no issues. Once you have your residency, you should be fine.

However, upon returning, I was surprised when they asked to see proof of my reciprocity fee even though I had permanent residency and Argentine stamps in my passport. I had my old passport with me in case they asked, so no issues, but it surprised me that they wanted to see it. I don't know what the agent would have said if I didn't have it. I suppose it's a good idea to bring proof of that if you can.

However, upon returning, I was surprised when they asked to see proof of my reciprocity fee even though I had permanent residency and Argentine stamps in my passport. I had my old passport with me in case they asked, so no issues, but it surprised me that they wanted to see it. I don't know what the agent would have said if I didn't have it. I suppose it's a good idea to bring proof of that if you can.

It's simply wrong. The reciprocity fee has no bearing whatsoever on a resident.

They are often misinformed - I've seen them collect the fee from a US passport holder who had been born here, that is also wrong. I am quite sure that had she stood her ground and escalated the issue, she wouldn't have had to pay it, but she elected to just pay and go without hassle.

Thanks for the responses! In the meantime, I've noticed that the second page of my Precaria is a document that "regularizes" my immigration status here, so I suppose that is what the agents will see to know that I don't have to pay the fee. I was thinking before that they should have marked something in my passport.

Yes, you have to pay the fee, it shouldn't take more than 3 extra minutes to resolve the issue, make sure you bring exact change in pesos, good luck.
Advise, pay it on your way out or you may have real problems returning....

Back