Overstay options

Vossos

Registered
Hi,

I’m hoping to ascertain some advice as to my current options regarding overstaying my tourist visa in Argentina. Apologies given this is a fairly common question but I wanted to seek some answers more unique to my situation

I’m from the UK and spent 3 months in Argentina at the beginning of the year before returning to Europe for a month and then returning to Argentina in May. My tourist visa is due to expire at the end of this month.

I’m hoping to stay in Argentina until potentially around February or March 2025 but certainly no later than that. Following that I plan to buy some property in Europe and then not return to Argentina for at least 6 months.

As far as I can tell, my options are either of the following:

• Get a tourist visa extension which should take me to the end of October and then overstay and pay the fine when I leave Argentina in February or March 2025
  • Don’t get a tourist visa extension and overstay until February or March 2025

This is something like my 5th visit to Argentina in the last 3 years and I’ve never renewed a tourist visa nor overstayed previously and I’ve left Argentina for at least a month between visits.

Will either of the options above limit my ability to withdraw money from western union or cause me any further issues? What would be the recommendation on the best route for me to proceed with?

Kind regards

You can't get an extension now. That will put you at 9 months, immigration can't give you an extension if it means you will go over 6 months for the year.

You can either do a day trip to Uruguay on the ferry or just overstay. I have many friends overstaying and using Western Union with no problems. But of course it's Argentina so that situation could change

You can't get an extension now. That will put you at 9 months, immigration can't give you an extension if it means you will go over 6 months for the year.

You can either do a day trip to Uruguay on the ferry or just overstay. I have many friends overstaying and using Western Union with no problems. But of course it's Argentina so that situation could change
Thank you for the information! Is it preferable to overstay rather than day trip to Uruguay? I’d be nervous about potentially being refused entry for a blatant visa run. Besides western union are there any other adverse implications to overstaying the tourist visa?

I’m not sure if it changes anything but my passport has many stamps from other countries throughout Europe and Asia within the last 2 years

Thank you for the information! Is it preferable to overstay rather than day trip to Uruguay? I’d be nervous about potentially being refused entry for a blatant visa run. Besides western union are there any other adverse implications to overstaying the tourist visa?

I’m not sure if it changes anything but my passport has many stamps from other countries throughout Europe and Asia within the last 2 years

If you overstay, you will have to pay a fine in person to be allowed to leave Argentina. Search this forum to find a link to the official website for more info and the exact amount, it should be around 50 euro.

If you make a day trip to Uruguay, in theory you could be denied entry on return, because you are abusing the tourist visa, you already got 2 tourist visas this year, you are not supposed to get tourist visas for the whole year. In practice this rarely happens and you get a new visa.

The best option would be to overstay.

Last time I did a visa run was March and I had no problems but who knows

Pro tip, get the last ferry of the day back to BA and use Colonia Express. They are the least professional and usually 30 mins or an hour late. By the time it arrives the immigration officers and everyone else at the terminal is desperate to go home. I imagine they are on fixed monthly salary with no overtime. When it's 7pm and the line is out the door they will literally yank the passport out of your hand, scan it and send you scurrying through without a word

I would bet if anyone has actually been denied entry they did an overnight trip then arrived back in the morning when immigration was sitting around bored

Thanks for the advice! It seems like overstaying is my best option.

Will I have any problems getting domestic flights whilst past my tourist visa expiry?

Hoping I don’t need to cram some last minute visits to other cities before I lose the ability to

You’re massively overthinking this. There’s a fine for overstaying but overstaying is not a crime here. It’s more similar to a parking ticket. Relax and enjoy Argentina and pay the $20 fine on your way out.
Thank you very much for the reassurance. I’ve pushed my flight back a few months. Hopefully the length of overstay doesn’t matter too much! I’ve pushed back to October so far but am likely to push my return flight back again until February or March

You’re massively overthinking this. There’s a fine for overstaying but overstaying is not a crime here. It’s more similar to a parking ticket. Relax and enjoy Argentina and pay the $20 fine on your way out.
I've overstayed once and did a run to Uruguay once and theres been no problems, I wonder if theres a limit on how many times you can over stay the visa my girlfriend who is Argentinian says they don't and won't care but I still worry a lot honestly just gotta hope for the best

No, no, no and no again.
Extentions need a file, a file that is the proper environment to cultivate a deportation order. No file no deportation order.

Back