Overstaying 90-day limit

You just walked trough the border, reentering Argentina without going through migraciones and without paying the prior $15.000 overstay fee? Do you have any idea what the consequences of that action might be?

None.

I am not an expert on the law, but I can think of the following possibilities at this point:

1. You are allowed to leave without paying the original $15.000 pesos overstay fee.

Yes.

2. You are allowed to leave after paying the original overstay fee of $15.000 pesos.

3. You are allowed to leave after paying the original overstay fee of $15.000 pesos plus an additional fee/fine of $15.000 pesos for not having an entry stamp that follows your recent exit stamp.

4. You are detained and then deported without paying a fine with a multiple year ban on your return.

5. You are detained and then deported after paying a fine with a multiple year ban on your return.

6. You are detained, charged, and prosecuted.

Hopefully,Bajo_cero2 will read this. Perhaps he can advise you how you might be able to leave, with or without paying the fine(s) and/or without being detained (if that is actually a possibility at this point).

PS: I sincerely hope you have already been able to leave the country without difficulty, but if you haven't yet done so, I urge you to wait for Dr. Rubliar's response before attempting your final exit, as I fear that just "walking though the border" could be considered a more serious offense than an overstay.
"They" (migraciones) did not put you in the category of leaving without paying. The act of leaving without paying (based on an erroneous assumption) did that.

You apparently think you are the victim here and I have to agree that you are. You are a victim of your erroneous assumptions of the details of the laws governing the tourist visa. It isn't the responsibility of any border agent to explain your options or the details of the law. It is the responsibility of every tourist in a foreign country to know the rules and regulations (aka laws) governing their visa.

Just because the first official did not tell you the fee/fine would increase from $4.500 to $15.000 pesos if you left without paying doesn't mean you were lied to, unless that official actually told you that the fine would still be $4500 pesos if you paid on line after leaving. I seriously doubt you would have been "lied to" if you had asked the appropriate questions about the fees, and I'm reasonably certain that you still had the (legal) option to "go back to town to pay the correct fee" before you left without paying, even if the official never told you that you did..

You just walked trough the border, reentering Argentina without going through migraciones and without paying the prior $15.000 overstay fee? Do you have any idea what the consequences of that action might be?

I am not an expert on the law, but I can think of the following possibilities at this point:

1. You are allowed to leave without paying the original $15.000 pesos overstay fee.

2. You are allowed to leave after paying the original overstay fee of $15.000 pesos.

3. You are allowed to leave after paying the original overstay fee of $15.000 pesos plus an additional fee/fine of $15.000 pesos for not having an entry stamp that follows your recent exit stamp.

4. You are detained and then deported without paying a fine with a multiple year ban on your return.

5. You are detained and then deported after paying a fine with a multiple year ban on your return.

6. You are detained, charged, and prosecuted.

Hopefully, Bajo_cero2 will read this. Perhaps he can advise you how you might be able to leave, with or without paying the fine(s) and/or without being detained (if that is actually a possibility at this point).

PS: I sincerely hope you have already been able to leave the country without difficulty, but if you haven't yet done so, I urge you to wait for Dr. Rubliar's response before attempting your final exit, as I fear that just "walking though the border" could be considered a more serious offense than an overstay.

1. no
2. yes
3. no
4. no
5. no
6. no. I saw only 1 case where I defend her and the immigration agent is making the ridiculous.

I'm not in CABA and don't plan on going back, would rather not. So won't be leaving via EZE but probably bus because I'll have little after the fine.

I see I can pay the fine in other places: Sede Central o en cualquier Delegación de esta Dirección Nacional en el Interior del País. So that's fine.

I'm leaving by bus not EZE. Pay fine at migraciones where I'm at now?

Where are you now?

No, they have a jail there. Pay it on line.

We know that migraciones has a jail at Retiro. Do they have jails in every Delegación de esta Dirección Nacional en el Interior del País and do any of them have a history of detaining foreigners who go there to pay an overstay fine?

But I see warnings here not to go to Migraciones because they could detain me, even though I was there to pay the fine?

So it's better/safer to leave via EZE?

In another thread Dr. Rubliar explained that migraciones (at least in Retiro) detained some individuals with overstays while they sent someone to verify their address. I'm not sure about other delegaciónes. It might help if you indicate which one you are closest to.

I had sort of resigned myself to having to pay the fine but really I just want the quickest, easiest exit.

Iguazu is not really an option as an exit for me as I thought I need a visa for Brazil.

I'm not sure what other similar border crossings there are.

As of June 17th Brasil will no longer require the visa for foreign tourists from the USA, Canada, and Australia.

Like you, I'm not sure what other similar border crossings there are

If you can wait until mid-June, Iquazu could become an option for leaving without paying, especially as it appears possible to walk across the border there.

So it's better/safer to leave via EZE?

If you can't pay the fine online, paying at EZE could be considered "safer" as you will actually be leaving within a few hours of paying the fine.

Whatever you do, be sure NOT to pay the fine more than ten days before you leave.

Hopefully, someone will know about the procedure at the border crossings if you leave by bus and post about it soon.

Where are you now?

We know that migraciones has a jail at Retiro. Do they have jails in every Delegación de esta Dirección Nacional en el Interior del País and do any of them have a history of detaining foreigners who go there to pay an overstay fine?

In another thread Dr. Rubliar explained that migraciones (at least in Retiro) detained some individuals with overstays while they sent someone to verify their address. I'm not sure about other delegaciónes. It might help if you indicate which one you are closest to.

As of June 17th Brasil will no longer require the visa for foreign tourists from the USA, Canada, and Australia.

If you can wait until mid-June, Iquazu could become an option for leaving without paying, especially as it appears possible to walk across the border there.

If you can't pay the fine online as Dr. Rubilar suggests, paying at EZE could be considered "safer" as you will actually be leaving within a few hours of paying the fine.

Whatever you do, be sure NOT to pay the fine more than ten days before you leave.

Hopefully, someone will know about the procedure at the border crossings if you leave by bus and post about it soon.
Steve, Thanks so much for all help you give to so many on this forum. It is a real contribution to the community.

I'm in Cordoba, looking at directions to Migraciones.

Waiting until June not really an option. Have money for bus, not plane.

Where are you now?

Migraciones (at least in Retiro) detained some individuals with overstays while they sent someone to verify their address. I'm not sure about other delegaciónes. It might help if you indicate which one you are closest to.

If you can't pay the fine online, paying at EZE could be considered "safer" as you will actually be leaving within a few hours of paying the fine.

Back