Overstaying 90-day limit

Thx daniel82. After going through security, aduana, also had my carry opened at the gate. they removed things the previous two did not care about. heads up

Soooo. Why would the original poster not go through the same process? entry stamp old, needs to be cleared by a governmental agency? you can just show them a reciect from a bank and they are authorized to process the ticket??? seems like a strecth to me

They can arrest you and deport you.
This seems odd to me. When I overstayed two years ago, they would not allow me to check into the airline until I had cleared migraciones. At that point deporting is exactly what I wanted. That said I also wanted to return, so I presume deportation would be on a never to return basis.

looking at the date, orionch has left the country. Orionch, please tell us what happened. whole lot ideas and speculation. would love to know, thanks

Thx daniel82. After going through security, aduana, also had my carry opened at the gate. they removed things the previous two did not care about. heads up

It would be very helpful for other expats that will be departing in the future to know exactly what "things" were removed from your carry-on at the gate. Please be specific.

Soooo. Why would the original poster not go through the same process? entry stamp old, needs to be cleared by a governmental agency? you can just show them a reciect from a bank and they are authorized to process the ticket??? seems like a strecth to me

Getting the airline to "process the ticket" involves more than showing a receipt from a bank. The receipt of payment is required by migraciones before they will grant the habilitacion de salida, and that's what the airlines are required to ask those who have overstayed their 90 day visa to provide before they can proceed with the check in.

looking at the date, orionch has left the country. Orionch, please tell us what happened. whole lot ideas and speculation. would love to know, thanks

While Orion started this thread, Brandon is the one who recently was asking about paying the overstay fee to get the habilitacion at the airport earlier this week. I also hope we will hear from him soon.

This seems odd to me. When I overstayed two years ago, they would not allow me to check into the airline until I had cleared migraciones. At that point deporting is exactly what I wanted. That said I also wanted to return, so I presume deportation would be on a never to return basis.

2 years ago was before DNU 70/2017. Helloooooooo

thanks steve. i guess what i was confused about was you still need to visit immigration. you can’t avoid it by just paying the overstay at the bank. they took medications i had perscriptions for them in the US not argentina. My name was not on them. they are way cheaper in argentina.

brandon... please let us know how this turned out. still very interested.

I don't want to derail the thread, but equally I think my situation is relevant enough to not warrant a new one. Firstly, I want to make it clear I am a fly with the wind kind of guy, I do things only when I need to do them. Anyway, I am currently overstayed by four years (I last came back May 2014). However, I have also been married to an ARG citizen since July 2014, also four years. I have never pursued residency because, welll, fly with the wind kind of guy.

I now have to leave the country this May and of course come back to my wife. What is the best course of action for me? Should I just start the process for residency now (if so, will it be a problem that I have overstayed four years)? Or should I just pay the fine and fly out and come back, if I get any heat I can just flash my marriage documentation?

I don't want to derail the thread, but equally I think my situation is relevant enough to not warrant a new one. Firstly, I want to make it clear I am a fly with the wind kind of guy, I do things only when I need to do them. Anyway, I am currently overstayed by four years (I last came back May 2014). However, I have also been married to an ARG citizen since July 2014, also four years. I have never pursued residency because, welll, fly with the wind kind of guy.

I now have to leave the country this May and of course come back to my wife. What is the best course of action for me? Should I just start the process for residency now (if so, will it be a problem that I have overstayed four years)? Or should I just pay the fine and fly out and come back, if I get any heat I can just flash my marriage documentation?

To "start he process for residency" and get a precaria (with which you can leave and reenter the country) you will have to submit all of the required documents to migraciones, but, as Dr.Rubilar has previously posted, if you go to migraciones and are not granted a precaria you can be arrested.

The biggest hurdle would be getting the foreign background report and having it translated before your scheduled departure date. You might be exempt from providing it because you have lived in Argentina for the past three years. Check this out first!

If you don't have to provide a foreign background report I suggest you start the process for residency ASAP, beginning with getting the antecedentes penales report in Argentina. With that you can get a turno to apply for permanent residency based on your marriage.

If I was in your shoes I would not leave the country without a precaria and I would not assume I could get back in by flashing a marriage certificate. You might get a sympathetic response form the immigration official when you (try to ) return, but you don't have the right to reenter just because you are married to an Argentine citizen.

As for being a "fly with the wind kind of guy" Principal Strickland would have been more concise:

https://www.google.com.ar/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj4wYWSjIPaAhXLhJAKHVFpCOsQtwIIKzAA&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ndJNXCkNxg&usg=AOvVaw2ttNael08fypZlXrZh3uyL

Last edited:
Back