Overstaying 90-day limit

jbeas176,

So, you didn't overstay your visa at all. It's been 81 days since you entered the country. And the airline just asked you to confirm your entry date with immigration, since your entry stamp was missing, right? So much drama :)

Glad to hear everything went OK.

Hopefully last comment unless brandon responds, for US residents.. beware. if you ovsrstay, you will deal with the argentine immigration before being allowed to exit in one form or another. be responsible and take care of business before hand.

comodoro, the length of stay was shorter. i do own a place in buenos aires and think about retiring part time in country as i love the culture and the people. that said, not sure i want to pay a 1% tax on my world wealth each year. we front load on taxes in the US so we dont pay in retirement. cant afford it. that said, i am a dumb ass on overstays. never thought the aduana was doing anything less than just verifying my passort and airline ticket. thanks for the concern

...never thought the aduana was doing anything less than just verifying my passport and airline ticket. thanks for the concern

The last time I left Argentina (through EZE) I remember that, as I approached the check in area, an employee of the airline asked to see my ticket and my passport. I'm sure she was checking the date of my last entry and/or my status with migraciones.

I had temporary residency at the time so I also produced my DNI. The employee verified that it had not expired and directed me to the appropriate check in line. If my temporary residency had expired I would have been sent to pay the overstay fee and return with the habilitacion de salida stamped by migraciones before being allowed to check in, just like a tourist who had overstayed their 90 day visa.

After checking in I proceeded to the concourse where (for the first time) an official of migraciones (in one of the glass booths)looked at my DNI and stamped my passport. I was then permitted to proceed to the departure gate.

I'm not sure if the staff at the final security check at he gate are employees of the Aduana (aka customs). In the USA they would be DHS employees. In any case, the Aduana has nothing to do with passport stamps or overstays. It never has and never will.

The reason I continue to make the distinction is that the words Aduana (customs) and migraciones apply to separate entities. The last time I flew out of Argentina I took some original artworks with me and I had to go the the office of the Aduana at EZE to have the packages and papers (which I already received from the Secretary of Culture) cross checked and stamped before I could check in (before the airline would accept the packages as checked baggage).

It was essential to be able to ask where the office of the Aduana was to accomplish this task. The only thing migraciones would have been able to is tell me where to go. Fortunately, I knew which office to ask for and the airline employee told me where to find it.

Last edited:
2 years ago was before DNU 70/2017. Helloooooooo

There is no need to be rude. My point was that they would not let me check in at the airline. Are you now saying you can check in when overstaying?

Steve you are correct. i used aduana, i should have said immigration. customs deals with items immigration deals with people. i believe the window i went to to get the paperwork necessary for the boarding passes was immigration. i further believe the final station was immigrations before being allowed to go to my gate for departure. whoooo. no more using aduana for people things. thanks again

The DNU is dead. It was declared unconstitutional on Friday.

TangoBob, the airline is going to allow you to check in, if immigrations allows you to leave the country is another story.

You pay the fine and leave. Do not go to immigration, they can arrest you.

Thank you guys for this forum. I've learned a lot here. And a special thanks to Bajo_cero2. Do you guys know any black people who have applied and granted citizenship here?
I am here as a tourist and will have an Argentine child in a month.

Do you guys know any black people who have applied and granted citizenship here? I am here as a tourist and will have an Argentine child in a month.

I'm sure this question would get more views in a thread about citizenship, but since it was asked in this one, I'll post an answer here.

If you give birth in Argentina your child will have Argentine citizenship. That will make you eligible for permanent residency and/or citizenship. it shouldn't matter what country you are from or the amount of eumelanin in your skin.

I won a case of a nigerian.

For anyone who is not about to have a baby and wants to know a little more about this case ( I have no idea what godfavor means):

There is religious persecution on catholics in Nigeria. I got citizenhip for the son of a pastor who was shot in front of his family and one of his names was godfavour. So, perhaps, he deserves refugee status.

This was from the topic:
Tourist visa reqs crossing from Uruguay

It took a while to actually learn that the OP was from Nigeria and was trying to figure out how to enter Argentina without getting the advance tourist visa required for Nigerians before trying to enter Argentina.

Last edited:
Back