Overstaying 90-day limit

Hello all! New member here. I want to thank everyone for all the information provided in this thread. Reading it was helpful, but unfortunately my situation is somewhat unique so I have a couple of clarifying questions...

My 90 day tourist visa expired last week. I have been here since February and had renewed my tourist visa twice previously when I went to Ecuador and Uruguay (most recently in August). I tried to renew again by going to Uruguay last week, but I'm a boludo and didn't track the days close enough so when I tried to leave last week (via Buquebus ferry) I was rejected because it was day 91 (fuck my life). I want to stay in Argentina until April. Normally, based on other's contributions to this thread, it seems obvious that I just need to pay the 4500 pesos when I leave in April, but I plan on traveling around this summer and it might complicate things.

1) I'm flying to Patagonia in January and I'm wondering if I will have any problems at the airport even though its just a domestic flight?

2) Also, I would love to have the option to visit the Chilean side of Patagonia while I'm there, but will definitely need to have my visa in good standing before I attempt any border crossings in places where I won't be able to pay the fine (aka remote Andean border crossings) so I don't enter leave without paying status. Apparently there is a 30-day grace period to renew a 90-day extension, If I am understanding correctly(?) DO I still qualify for that even though I have already renewed twice by leaving and coming back? That would get me to February an then would it renew again if I went to Chile and back in January? I could always leave for good in February, but that would not be ideal.... because this country is awesome!

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated. I don't really know where to ask. My Argentinian friends don't know much an I don't blame em, just like IDK shit about getting visas to the US because I never have to deal with it as I am a citizen.

TIA
Trevor

It seems like your going to be rolling the dice here I would not attempt a border crossing without paying the overstay fine. If I recall you cross and did not pay the fine you might not be allowed back in and that for some amount of time. Only recalling things I have seen in posts.

1) I'm flying to Patagonia in January and I'm wondering if I will have any problems at the airport even though its just a domestic flight?

Highly unlikely you’d have any problems on a domestic flight.

Apparently there is a 30-day grace period to renew a 90-day extension, If I am understanding correctly(?) DO I still qualify for that even though I have already renewed twice by leaving and coming back?

To use correct terminology, you’ve never “renewed” by leaving and returning. You’re being admitted anew each time, with all attendant conditions.

It is possible, but unlikely, but not unheard of, that on any re-entry to Argentina the border officer decides you are not a true tourist but a de facto resident abusing your status (AFAIK they call it pseudo-tourist), and so sent you entry.

Again, it’s unlikely. Doubly so when your passport shows you moving around South America, moreover in a remote border crossing that pretty much demonstrates you actually touring.

Define god level racism:

Stay in Uruguay, we do not miss you.

FYI having AR DNI you have the right to live there, it is not a matter of attitude, it is the law ;)

Here we are almost 2 years later LOL my you and your have made such progr
Highly unlikely you’d have any problems on a domestic flight.

To use correct terminology, you’ve never “renewed” by leaving and returning. You’re being admitted anew each time, with all attendant conditions.

It is possible, but unlikely, but not unheard of, that on any re-entry to Argentina the border officer decides you are not a true tourist but a de facto resident abusing your status (AFAIK they call it pseudo-tourist), and so sent you entry.

Again, it’s unlikely. Doubly so when your passport shows you moving around South America, moreover in a remote border crossing that pretty much demonstrates you actually touring.

Yes but his visa is expired that is an overstay read the posts on not paying the oversay fine some have not been let back in after leaving and not paying the overstay. That is my only point here.

My 90 day tourist visa expired last week...I tried to renew again by going to Uruguay last week, but I'm a boludo and didn't track the days close enough so when I tried to leave last week (via Buquebus ferry) I was rejected because it was day 91...

What exactly do you mean that you were "rejected" when you "tried to leave?" Were you prevented from leaving or did a border agent or Buqebus employee simply tell you you would not get a new 90 day tourist permit when you tried to return?

It's doubtful.

Also, I would love to have the option to visit the Chilean side of Patagonia while I'm there, but will definitely need to have my visa in good standing before I attempt any border crossings in places where I won't be able to pay the fine (aka remote Andean border crossings) so I don't enter leave without paying status.

It's not a good idea to leave without paying the fee unless you can pay on line before you return (with a credit card). Actually, leaving at a remote border crossing , paying the fee on line, and returning by the same route might be the best strategy, buhere's no guarantee you will be readmitted.

Apparently there is a 30-day grace period to renew a 90-day extension, If I am understanding correctly(?) DO I still qualify for that even though I have already renewed twice by leaving and coming back? That would get me to February an then would it renew again if I went to Chile and back in January? I could always leave for good in February, but that would not be ideal.... because this country is awesome!

If you could not get a new 90 day tourist permit by leaving and returning after your third one expired, I seriously doubt you will be able to get an extension at migraciones at this point, even if you pay the overstay fee there as well as the extra 50%. Based on Bajo_Cero2's posts on the subject, I would not recommend going to migraciones to either ask for a prorroga or pay the fee/fine before leaving. He has posted that is the one place you can be arrested and deported (without an order of a judge?), but I don't know if this has ever happened to a US citizen.

Hopefully, he will reply to this post.

What exactly do you mean that you were "rejected" when you "tried to leave?" Were you prevented from leaving or did a border agent or Buqebus employee simply tell you you would not get a new 90 day tourist permit when you tried to return?

I was prevented. The Buquebus employee wouldn't let me check-in without paying the fine first, which isn't even possible to do at the ferry terminal. He told me to go to Aeroparque to pay it as if I could totally do that an then catch my boat, which was leaving in an hour lol.

It's not a good idea to leave without paying the fee unless you can pay on line before you return (with a credit card). Actually, leaving at a remote border crossing , paying the fee on line, and returning by the same route might be the best strategy, buhere's no guarantee you will be readmitted.

I definitely don't want to burn any bridges or overcomplicate things so I definitely don't want to leave without paying. I was hoping that I could pay the fine proactively (in BA) before my trip and handle everything beforehand, but when I pay the fine, I then have 10 days to leave the country, right? Which would be an issue because I want to stay longer than ten days. After paying the fine an leaving, what are the chances that I would be let back in? Will I be banned for life or for a certain amount of time? I could really use a fresh 90 days... Worst case scenario, I just stay in Argentina until I move to Ecuador in April.

If you could not get a new 90 day tourist permit by leaving and returning after your third one expired, I seriously doubt you will be able to get an extension at migraciones at this point, even if you pay the overstay fee there as well as the extra 50%. Based on Bajo_Cero2's posts on the subject, I would not recommend going to migraciones to either ask for a prorroga or pay the fee/fine before leaving. He has posted that is the one place you can be arrested and deported (without an order of a judge?), but I don't know if this has ever happened to a US citizen.

Super helpful! Thank you! Super glad I'm considering all my options instead of listening to the Buquebus guy an gone to pay the fine. I really appreciate you guys! I love this country, but not this situation haha.

Thats a normal-case scenario though, right? I assume it would be different since I'm an overstayer. I'm wondering more specifically what happens when I pay the fine, leave, an then try to come back...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

your risk is you may be denied entry.

you are paying a fine because you are abusing the system. it seems these days they are scrutinizing this more closely.

if you are insistent on staying until april you are wise to not leave the country, and pay the fine when you depart.

Back