OverStaying in argentina due to COVID-19

Thanks to everyone who has shared info in this thread. My question is slightly tangential but certainly related to the thread:

I am trying to get married and the registro civil told me I need a certificate of "estado de residencia" de Migraciones. Anybody ever hear about that? (I'm in a small town in Cba province, it's not like they've ever actually done one of these things, it's just what this employee was told)
Any hard info on this supposed rule?

BTW, I am in any case on a tourist visa from February 2020 (which I supposed is to be considered "expired"... but then again maybe not?). Any possibility of regularizing my situation - even if just to get married - without physically leaving and coming back ? (I know I won't be allowed back as a tourist the way things stand)
They are wrong. Residency is something you get later because of marriage.

It's possible to marry with passport + blood test, nada mas.

If you are not from Spanish speaking country they will make you to hire an official translator, and it can cost something. Registro probably has contacts of translators or you can reach colegio de traductores.
Registro don't care if you speak Spanish if you originally not from Spain/mercosur. Fun fact You can hire English translator even if you don't speak English, they don't care, they just need some translator to some foreign language from Spanish.
Respectfully I don't believe the translator part is accurate. I got married in CABA in several years ago and I did not have a translator. In fact, they doubted I could speak Spanish and took me aside to another room away from my wife to "test" my Spanish. Mainly some basic questions about where I was from, why I moved here, how I met my wife, etc. After that they were satisfied and I never had it come up again. Got married and did everything without having to hire a translator.

Several of my other friends (who speak very little Spanish) went through the same process and never had a problem either.

I wrote to migraciones asking them and their response:

Si tiene la Visa vencida, primero tiene que regularizar su condición migratoria. Tiene que ingresar a la pagina www.migraciones.gob.ar, y chequear los tipos de residencias Extramercosur que hay y optar por una.

So my question is, is it possible to "regularize" my status without leaving the country? Can I apply for "radicacion No-Mercosur" ? Looks like yes, as one of the requisites is the proof of entry in the passport

I wrote to migraciones asking them and their response:

Si tiene la Visa vencida, primero tiene que regularizar su condición migratoria. Tiene que ingresar a la pagina www.migraciones.gob.ar, y chequear los tipos de residencias Extramercosur que hay y optar por una.

So my question is, is it possible to "regularize" my status without leaving the country? Can I apply for "radicacion No-Mercosur" ? Looks like yes, as one of the requisites is the proof of entry in the passport

No. You do not need a valid "visa" for marriage.

OK at the registro civil that's what they said. Birth certificate, photocopies of both parents' passports, and immigration status. Do I have any remedy?

Immigration status is prooved just by making a photocopy of the passport with a stamp (if you don`t have DNI). I did so with a stamp, even I was legal, but nobody even tried to read it. You need to present a photocopy- you will present it, requirment is met, chin chin.

Your status now is irregular, it is a status too, many people are actually living like this for years or decades, it does not mean they don`t have the same rights like others!
Try to speak with the jefe of the office or check other office.

With other office first just try to come first with all photocopias and documents ready not for consulta but to take the date (fecha) when you want to marry, don`t just speak, choose a date, make it serious. If they deny you too, its COVID come on, tell them it is not possible to renew the visa, if you go to Chile for ex you have to cuarantine there for 14 days+make PCR (6000 pesos), say you can`t afford it, you have wife/husband, kids. dutys to do etc you can`t go out for 14 days and waste money on travel, hotel, test etc. Argentinians are usually kind people, they should understand.

Respectfully I don't believe the translator part is accurate. I got married in CABA in several years ago and I did not have a translator. In fact, they doubted I could speak Spanish and took me aside to another room away from my wife to "test" my Spanish. Mainly some basic questions about where I was from, why I moved here, how I met my wife, etc. After that they were satisfied and I never had it come up again. Got married and did everything without having to hire a translator.

Several of my other friends (who speak very little Spanish) went through the same process and never had a problem either.

Believe it or not I personally had to hire a translator (I speak Spanish, but I`m european and not from Spain), Registro Civil where I was marrying is never marrying foreigners without a translator. Otherwise one of you can later invalidate the whole marriage by saying " I understood nothing what happend, I don`t speak Spanish". The translator signed in all our papers apart from testigos.

Last edited:
Believe it or not I personally had to hire a translator (I speak Spanish, but I`m european and not from Spain), Registro Civil where I was marrying is never marrying foreigners without a tanslator. Otherwise one of you can later ivalidate the whole marriage by saying " I understood nothing what happend, I don`t speak Spanish". The translator signed in all our papers apart from testigos.
Which RC did that happen at? I mean, anything is possible here when it comes to things that are allegedly government regulations. I wouldn't be surprised if its weird way of getting a bit of extra money to someone by forcing everyone to get a translator. I got married at the RC in Palermo and they had no issue with it. I personally know at least 5 others that got married without a translator over the last 5 years in CABA. All of them speaking only very basic Spanish.

Back