Owner Won't Return Deposit On Rental Contract

That sucks. I never had a problem getting a deposit back but then I never left the apt without said deposit in hand and/or already deposited back into my account.

She probably already did spend it. You can continue to send emails, calls, etc in hopes that you get some of it back but it's probably a 50/50 shot. Next time my only advice would be either use it towards the last month's rent and/or refuse to vacate the apt until you have it in your hand.

Now I am nervous about getting my deposit back. The last two times I had no issues. I won't be leaving Buenos Aires right away so the secret is just not to leave the apartment until I have the deposit? How long before they can kick you out of a temporary apartment?
I am slightly nervous because this owner was keen to know if I had a flight booked back and what day it was and that is not a good sign.

Do people really have a right to know if somebody else is paying taxes?
You do not have the right to know, you are basically telling AFIP that you suspect this person is evading taxes by renting out properties being run as a business.

Now I am nervous about getting my deposit back. The last two times I had no issues. I won't be leaving Buenos Aires right away so the secret is just not to leave the apartment until I have the deposit? How long before they can kick you out of a temporary apartment?
I am slightly nervous because this owner was keen to know if I had a flight booked back and what day it was and that is not a good sign.

Forever on the kicking out thing. Basically you can't kick a tenant out which is why people are so paranoid about renting. And yes, tell landlord now you will do the sign out and take the deposit with you the day you check out. That way s/he has no excuse and its not a surprise and they have the money in hand when they show up. NO money, no leaving apt.

If you somehow can't delay paying the last month's rent then make sure you schedule the inspection meeting on the day you are vacating the apartment. The meeting goes something like this; "We had a great time here. Here is the list (that we talked about) of the items that were not working when I arrived. Everything else is in perfect order. Please see for yourself. The keys? Yes, as I mentioned in my call yesterday I will give back the keys after you complete the inspection and after I get my deposit. You did bring the deposit with you in cash as we agreed, yes?"

*** smile, smile, smile ***

FWIW, my landlords never had any problem and they were great and I never had an issue nor a delayed departure nor did they ever try to nickel or dime anything. So don't get too paranoid. Give them a heads up in advance so they remember to bring your deposit (cough cough, have enough time to get the money since they probably spent it months ago)

A variant of GS method would be:
Schedule an appointment the day before you leave (you'll lose one day if everything goes fine, but with the deposit in the pocket & without the hassle).
If the inspection goes wrong, then tell the landlord "Fine, then I'll have an escribano coming here tomorrow and as per the law, his fees are to be splitted 50/50. I want to do everything the legal way and make sure your interests & mines are preserved, bla bla".

Note also that photos have little value (not 100% proofs).

Also to be considered (and might be a handicap for expats coming from anglosaxon countries) is the latin culture here: lots of talking, even some loud talking along the way and then once the situation is over, shake your hands like if nothing happened.

Never had problems getting deposit back, but yes i'm argentinean so that might be why, still the advice of asking the deposit back when you hand the key is a good one.

You would not believe what I had to go through, again, when leaving my apartment and expecting for a little professionalism from the rental agent and the owner.

on the good side. I had a german lady rent my apartment 4 months prepaid. she died at the end of the first month. the family came to town to retrieve the body and asked for the unused rent to be returned. I gave them back 2 months rent and kept I month the clean and remarket. we can all get along.

Back