packages from US

JuliaR26

Registered
I was wondering if anyone had experience getting packages from the US. My parents shipped me a package (filled mostly with clothes, no electronics or other valuables) about two weeks ago, and I still haven't received it (although I realise it may just take a while to get here.) My Argentine roommate told me that it should be delivered directly to my apartment, but I've also heard from several expats that I'll need to go to the airport to pick it up, as it's probably been stuck at customs. Is there any way to figure out if the package has been stopped at customs, or do I just need to go to the airport and see if it's there? Any suggestions are welcome.

I assume they mailed your stuff so I would say give it another week or so, you might be lucky and it arrives directly at your apartment. Usually if the shipment is being held by customs you will get a letter saying that your stuff is at the Central Post Office and you have to get it from there (es un dolor de huevos).

First you need to find out how the box was shipped, U.S. Post Office? If so you should be able to track it, just need to get the tracking number from them. It has taken a month or more for me to get just items sent in a padded envelope, if sent just, priority air mail.

If it is at customs at the Post Office from Hell, in downtown, you will get a notice to go there and pick up. Take your passport, go early, and be prepared to wait! If there was a value put on the items, hopefully it was low as you can be charged duty on it. If they marked it "used clothes" you might be okay. If you don't speak Spanish take someone with you that does, as they give you a card with a long number on it, and it is blasted over a PA system that is hard to understand.

Now I only have things shipped via the U.S. post office this way:

!. Express Mail International - U.S. Post Office
2. Items are marked as "gifts"...no duty paid on gifts
3. value low, $50 or less
4. Keep weight under 10 pounds

It is expensive to ship this route, but it will get here and be delivered to your door, in 4 to 7 days.

Good luck with your box!

My experience has been that packages get sent to the International Post Office in Retiro, not the Central Post Office. Claiming the package is a bit of a nuisance. Books have come through but other items can be stolen. You just never know.

One other point on stating what's inside the box...have them list gifty type items...shirts, pants, socks, etc...

**Some p.o.'s are insistent on some sort of info on what's in the box, some aren't....and you can get away with stating, "personal items", which is the best.

So far, I've had 3 packages sent here from the U.S. and none of them were delivered to my apartment. I've had to go to the International Post Office to pick them up, take a number and wait-style. That's how they do things in Argentina. When the package arrives at the International Post Office, they send you a notice in the mail to let you know it's there. If you don't pick it up after a certain number of days, they will charge you for every day they have to store it. It's not fun, but all my packages have come in good condition.

Thanks to all for your responses. I'll guess I'll just wait to hear from the Post Office and then brace myself for a long and frustrating pick-up process - which I'm willing to go through if it means getting my things!

Cheers!

EvergreenGal said:
First you need to find out how the box was shipped, U.S. Post Office?

Now I only have things shipped via the U.S. post office this way:

!. Express Mail International - U.S. Post Office
2. Items are marked as "gifts"...no duty paid on gifts
3. value low, $50 or less
4. Keep weight under 10 pounds

It is expensive to ship this route, but it will get here and be delivered to your door, in 4 to 7 days.

Ibid
Ibid
Ibid
Ibid
Ibid (I would have only used one "Ibid", but that message was too short to post. So I wrote more, plus this beautiful explanation.)

Back