packages from US

EvergreenGal said:
Okay...help me out here...what does "Ibid" mean?

It's a phrase often heard at auctions.

(Sorry, KK was right. I really am a smartass.)

Ayn Rand has been my intellectual heroine since the mid-sixties, but Bart Simpson has been my (comic) role model for 20 years.

If only I could age as slowly as Bart.

At least I haven't matured that much.

It's really a literary (editing) term and means in the same place...as in the previous reference (footnote).

best way to get a package is via Fedex, DHL or UPS. anything sent via regular mail is subject to loss and customs nuisance.

EliasBB said:
best way to get a package is via Fedex, DHL or UPS. anything sent via regular mail is subject to loss and customs nuisance.

This is good advice, but it is also very expensive to ship with these carriers.

EliasBB said:

Stuff sent via Fedex, DHL and UPS is also subject to customs. The only advantage over USPS is their better tracking systems, which may help prevent the package from being "accidentally" lost in transit. ;) I know we've wasted countless hours and lots of money on two occasions releasing packages from EZE customs that were shipped via FedEx and DHL.

When I first came here in 2006 I was told that it was 'illegal' to ship used clothes from the US to Argentina - I tried anyway and never received the package... I;m sure many of you have received used clothes in the mail, is this actually against the law or do I just have bad luck?

EvergreenGal said:
Okay...help me out here...what does "Ibid" mean?

"Ibid" was used when you were writing papers back in high school. When you had to make a Bibliography of all of the sources you used, if a footnote was from the same source as the one before, then you only had to type out "Ibid".

In reality, I should have written "Ditto", but I didn't and I won't change it, because then it would make you look like you had the strange idea to aske "What does 'Ibid' mean?" in the middle of a thread that has nothing to do with writing high school papers. (I'm nice like that.)

So that's what "Ibid" means and "Ditto" means "the same thing", but more like "I would say what he's saying." So really, I should have written "Ditto" instead of "Ibid", but whatever... it's not like I teach English... :eek:

When friends/family send us packages from the US we ask that they be sent in a padded envelope: these arrive at your door easily if under two pounds. Stuff sent in boxes often goes to the Central Post Office down by Retiro, it is a hassle to get these items. One family member recently sent us clothes at the same time in a padded envelope and in a box. The envelope arrived to our house...the box to the Central Post Office.....where we arrived early, stood in line, waited....waited.....etc.

If you are being sent more expensive items, like electronics, the padded envelope might not be the best way; every box we've received at the central post office has been opened and inspected in our presence.

Back