Pan Dulce Don't You Think The Prices Are A Bit Crazy?

I found Panettone in a high end supermarket on the Upper East Side of NYC today for US$25, which made me think that AR$200 was a bit too much, considering how overpriced NYC supermarkets can be! I personally dislike both Panettone and pan dulce, but since we are hosting an group of Argentines for Christmas Eve up here, Panettone will be served. I will stick to cheesecake for the desert portion of the evening. :)
Panettone in NYC US$25, Panettone in BsAs US$15. How much less do you think it should be?
Nancy

Look I know that some come down and have USD and I think that's totally great, but I just wish that they would at least make some effort to understand the difficulty of living on pesos and realise that salaries here do not keep up with inflation.

Around the corner at the local bakery they are selling a massive pan dulce for 130. It looks to be about 10 times better than what you buy in the supermercados. Look for a good local bakery that makes better quality products for a cheaper option.

Another good option, and I am sure I have seen it in Argentina somewhere in a supermarket, is Pandoro.

Super easy to do (half the work of a panettone) and cheaper. To be served with a cream made of yolks, sugar and a tad of marsala (zabaione), or with a variant with mascarpone as well.

pandoro.jpg

my grandmother used to make us a fruitcake every year.. we used it as a door stop......oh the memories!!

No need to import ·"fruitcakes " so much available locally :cool: 300 calories per slice :mad:

Panettone in NYC US$25, Panettone in BsAs US$15. How much less do you think it should be?
Nancy

Should cost $8,8 dollars adjusted by the income per capita of the USA compared to Argentina in US$ :eek: ($18,200/$52,800)

From the pan dulces sold in supermarkets I like the Musel brand in the black box:

musel04.jpg

Sour dough, tasty, not dry.

I like a bit of pan dulce, can't say i notice much difference between it and the undoubtedly fake pannetonne that we used to buy in Ireland from some Italian cafes. I'd definetely like to try the real deal.

I reserve a special hatred for pio-nonce , anyone who thinks sponge cake and tuna or chicken are acceptable culinary bedfellows should be toasted in the fires of hell for all eternity and then some. I cant even type out the name without having gag reflexes.

Back