Paris Of The South.

I guess most of the people who refer to Buenos Aires as "Paris of the South" either haven't been to Paris or to Buenos Aires - or both...

Exactly. Chateau Rouge or Barbes could be seen as the "Paris of the Poor," not that that phrase makes any sense. Buenos Aires is Buenos Aires.

I haven't been to any other South American capitals, but I always assumed "Paris of the South" meant that Buenos Aires is the closest thing to Paris in South America. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but it's obviously not Paris. :p

At least it's not known as the Detroit of the South...

Some of the most interesting posts are here in newcomers forum.
How could I have missed that from my ivory tower of expats forum?

If you were not financially challenged -- what qualifies in your opinion as the places to hang your hat?

Nope. They did it for the centenary, in 1910.
I think you re confusing with 9 de Julio.

You are correct!

I've been living on my cell phone the past few days and when I get distracted during typing, I sometimes forget what I'm answering because I can't see the pat I'm responding to.

But since Café Tortoni moved to its current location in 1870, the "La Prensa" building was completed in 1898, and the Congreso was completed in 1906, I would say that Av de Mayo was built before 1910.

Some of the most interesting posts are here in newcomers forum.
How could I have missed that from my ivory tower of expats forum?

Where can I buy kale, nut butters, pine nuts, and organic goat milk yogurt? I'm here to teach English, where do I get a job with no visa or experience? Where can I cash pesos to dollars at the official rate?

Was that interesting? I deliberately left out 100s of dead horse topics. Speaking of, where is Ajo?

Why don't we just refer to Cordoba as the Lyon of South America, or Mar del Plata as the Marseilles of Argentina? The same "logic" applies.

By the way, here is the "Paris of the poor:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris,_Texas

I'm sure all of you indigent expats can afford to live there.

Back