Paris Of The South.

If you were not financially challenged -- what qualifies in your opinion as the places to hang your hat?

The Cook Islands.

This villa was on the market two years ago for only $1.5 million dollars: http://www.arohavilla.co.ck/

aroha-slide3.jpg

aroha-slide4.jpg

aroha-slide2.jpg

That is a meaningless statement. Actually amounts to intentional misinformation.

That is what meaningless is.

If you don't know much about music, then I guess it would seem that way. In the same way that Buenos Aires might *seem* like the Paris of the South.

No thanks theres only two words in rap and they begin with M and F

I don't care to listen to rap or villera, but they hold some interest as social phenomena, so I might read about them. I love narcocorridos, though.

I actually have listened to quite a bit of cumbia villera, but its not exactly "roots music" for argentina.
Its quite recent, and it obviously is enormously influenced by American rap, which is only 30 odd years old, not by ancient gaucho candombe.

blah blah blah is one of the most convincing arguments I have ever heard, though. Tough to argue with that one.

So, you must be saying that Buenos Aires is practically Lagos, in its culture, I guess.

I actually have listened to quite a bit of cumbia villera, but its not exactly "roots music" for argentina.
Its quite recent, and it obviously is enormously influenced by American rap, which is only 30 odd years old, not by ancient gaucho candombe.

blah blah blah is one of the most convincing arguments I have ever heard, though. Tough to argue with that one.

So, you must be saying that Buenos Aires is practically Lagos, in its culture, I guess.

Feels like a campaign of intentional misinformation.

Confuse the issues, .... throw any thing at it ..... even the kitchen sink.

There is no debating a point, NONE.

Blah blah blah is no worse an argument than hyperbole.

Buenos Aires is not Lagos, but neither are Bahia, Havana, or Cartagena. You seem to only see things in black or white. Do you listen to folclorico or know anything about it. What I am saying is accepted by anyone who studies or plays chacarera, zamba, chamamé, etc. At least anyone I've ever studied or played with. Also, there are tomes of research on this exact subject.

Even a quick read of Wikipedia will give you a high-level explanation, if you are really interested:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historia_de_la_m%C3%BAsica_folkl%C3%B3rica_de_Argentina

I have had so American compatriots from the lower 48 who moved/emigrated to scenic, charming/interesting places beginning in the 1980's - Hawai'i, London, Paris, Rome, low-crime coastal enclaves in Brazil, northern Thailand, Ecuador, etc., etc. Of course I used to love having hosts in these alluring places, and I realized after each visit a consistent pattern in the first hours of our reunions: 2-3 hours of therapeutic moaning and bitching by them to me about the "unbearable" inconveniences, generalized ennui, the presence of too many other Americans, government incompetence, snobbery or boorishness of locals ... I learned that unless, for example, you are condemned by poverty or karma to live in a South Asian slum, favela, villa miseria, Mexico City colonia, or one of those existentially horrifying exurbs of the US Sunbelt, etc., we are all -- arguably -- lucky to be in creaky, Fellini-esque, Buenos Aires, with the luxury of time to kibbutz on web forums, as opposed to gathering cardboard at dusk in Palermo to feed a family and maybe get drunk occasionally with or subsistence earnings ... I suspect a lot of this debate about the merits of various expat destinations is a way of expressing the perhaps unconscious longing and sadness --that often accompany leaving our "homes", however imperfect -- and the fear that we may die without having found paradise ...

Back