PASO Election Results

“Cheto” is a non-political term, referring instead to someone’s social class as being “well accommodated” (eg a Lacoste or Polo shirt, iPhone, apartment in a well to do area, private schools/ university degree, holidays abroad, House on the costa etc.) and an attitude with a hint of “superiority” in it. After Cheto there is also “Canchero”...

If anything, I would expect the blue to weaken slightly since this election result is a “good news story” for businesses and the market (Argentine stocks have already skyrocketed) meaning instead of panic, buyers and sellers have more confidence about the future of Argentina and feel less immediate need to change everything into dollars to protect themselves from a crash in the short term.
A panic driving the price higher would have ensued if officialdom had have won or not lost by such a huge margin as we saw in the last elections when the currency sharply devalued at the prospect of a future with FdT. Obviously whatever the impact it will be short lived until the government make their next policy move affecting demand.

Mid term elections always a slap in the face for those in power. 2 years is a bloody long time in Argentina.

Argentines can't make up their mind lol... One minute ready for change, then next minute they want back to free shit, then a minute later they want change again.

The problem is what is JxC do next?

This is a good question.

Last time it was to take on massive dollar denominated debt, keep the printing press on, remove capital controls, have all that debt then go right out the door again in capital flight, take on loans from the IMF, jack up interest rates to 80%, inflation still sky high, then have to take more loans from the IMF, etc. They bragged about all the competence they were bringing and that was the end result.

I say this as someone who was pleased to see Cristina and her minions lose in 2015...and pleased to see them lose again.

I know the Kirchners were blessed with high soy prices and all of that during their "successful" years, but if JxC can't steer the ship during bad times, then what's the point? Anyone can be a success when commodity prices are sky high.

Last edited:
At the very least they will start with scrapping the "indemnización" for workers so we can get a good round of firings started so Macri and his friends can ship a few more dollars abroad.

I can understand criticisms of the government, but Juntos being the solution? Really?

I do think labor reform of some sort is needed. It would also increase hiring in cases because many businesses are so cautious to take on new employees because of all the cost associated with letting them go, if needed.

I agree with some of JxC ideas that can be deciphered from their vague rhetoric, certainly not all of them, but they haven't proved to be the solution in my opinion.

"Can I fire this person?" as a starting point for employment is an aspect of the US that I really hope we don't see in Argentina.

I do think labor reform of some sort is needed. It would also increase hiring in cases because many businesses are so cautious to take on new employees because of all the cost associated with letting them go, if needed.

I agree with some of JxC ideas that can be deciphered from their vague rhetoric, certainly not all of them, but they haven't proved to be the solution in my opinion.
As a business owner (and a progressive one if that that is fully compliant and voluntarily involved in community projects trying to generate a positive impact for the “other” side of Argentina) 100% agree.

Unfortunately, most businesses see an employee en-blanco as a “time bomb” due to the laws around employment and (in)flexibility in things like work hours and scope of jobs, meaning they would rather produce less, open less hours, or go understaffed rather than actually take the risk to grow or be more productive. Or worse still, do things under the table and exploit a workers desperation. It has little to do with actual “firings” and everything to do with risk. Especially in an uncertain climate like this where the success of your business is far from certain and demand for your goods/ services far from “stable”.
If no one wants to compromise, no one moves.

Anyone who criticizes this reality is free to use their money to start a business that employ people en blanco in Argentina and see for themselves the massive responsibility and liability this creates to see how disproportionate it is even compared to European countries like France or Germany.

This is the number one reason young Argentines complain about not having opportunities and suffer disproportionately from poverty, despite their keen willingness to work.

Alberto has 2 more years to go, limping to finish his period..? The Opposition has the answers to change this plane that is going nose down..?

"Can I fire this person?" as a starting point for employment is an aspect of the US that I really hope we don't see in Argentina.

It's not a starting point, it's a consideration when a business hires someone. It's a consideration made across the world, not just the US. If you didn't consider costs of labor then you'd go out of business pretty quickly.

It hurts PYMES and companies who are trying to be compliant the most. The large corporations have lots of ways to get around these regulations already. Temp agencies are a favorite. You're actually strengthening large corporations at the loss of small businesses. Less competition, more monopoly power, ability to move prices, it's what we have in Argentina.

That you use the words "Macri and Friends" to describe business in general tells me that you think of this issue only in superficial political terms which is unfortunate.

Back