Passport Question

va2ba

Registered
I've got to get a new passport from the US embassy. The website says that I need a certified copy of my birth certificate to prove my nationality (since my passport was stolen). By certified, they mean that it needs to be a copy that I order from back home, correct?

Is there anyway that I can use a scanned copy?

Really? Is that new? When my passport was stolen (albeit in the US), I did not have to bring my birth cert with me.

Yes the copy you get from home has the dry seal. That is all they want. And yes when they are lost or stollen they ask for the birth cert [these days]

Huh, who knew. My passport was stolen in Sept '07 and def didn't bring that. IIRC, I had my old passport though which is valid for ID purposes plus license, etc.

There must be some way around that though, when travelers get their passports stolen, they're not stranded in that location until they get the birth cert signed and delivered.

eta - just checked and it doesn't say it's required. Exact info from the US Embassy website says (for lost and stolen passports) http://argentina.usembassy.gov/passports.html

Lost or Stolen Passports
If your passport has been lost or stolen please come to the Embassy, Colombia Ave, 4300 on any working day between Monday and Friday from 8:30-12:00 pm.
You will need to bring the following:
• Photo identification, if available (driver's license, etc.).
• Proof of citizenship, if available (copy of your passport, US birth certificate or Naturalization Certificate),
• Police report of the loss or theft
• One (1) 5cm x 5cm passport photograph
• Fee: U$ 135

So yes, if you have a copy as well as a license, etc, it's def worth a try.

Do youhave an older passport of a fotocopy of the passport...both can/have been used to prove identity at the embassy by me at different times (i refuse to admit how many times i lost my passport in the first five years i was here:(

Back