Passport woes for Newborns

AngelinBA said:
If your child is born in Argentina, don´t try leaving the country with anything other than an Argentine passport. They are very strict on this.

If the DNI number is a 94 xxx xxx one then it sounds like a foreign one. If it starts with 45, 46 or similar then it would be a ¨local¨one. But aren´t all kids born in Argentina considered Argentine citizens?

Yes, as far I know all children born in Argentina are Argentine. His DNI starts with the numbers 52 xxx xxx. We called again today (different person,) he told us to go back down to the Registry. (That will make it the 5th time I've had go there,.. but that's another story.) We suspect that the DNI number has not been entered into the computer. I'll found out Monday.

ptolemy said:
I was told today while trying to make an appointment to obtain the Argentine passport for my newborn, (born in Argentina,) that the DNI given to him at Nacimientos, was a DNI given to children of FOREIGN parents. (?!!) Hmmn,.. and to obtain his Argentine passport, (in order to leave this country,) we would have to go to immigrations to obtain his (real?) Argentine DNI in order to obtain the passport. Does anyone have any idea what is going here? None of this happened with my first child 2 years ago.

Your right you will need a Argentine passport. I know this can be a big hassle.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/traveling_with_children.html

Even so I will be sure to register their births so they maintain U.S. citizenship.

nikad said:
That is what the law says, if they did anything different they messed it up :(

Agreed. We got the Argentinean passport in 30 days, sent to thehouse..so this all sounds very unusual.

I got my argentine born son his passport with a copy of his birth certificate and DNI. We went to the Registry office with him, filled in the various bits of paper work, had his photos taken and within a couple of weeks it was delievered to my door. I found it very easy. His DNI is a light Blue one with number beginning 50 and we are both foreign born parents. I think you must have had bad luck with whomever you delt with. I would try again if I was you. Suerte!

Fifs, Deadlegs, anybody who had an easier time getting this tramite done with a newborn, can you clarify when you needed to get the DNI for your newborn? I'll be having a child here in Argentina and plan to leave within ~3-4 months of the birth, so am trying to figure out the process well ahead of time.

Best of luck, ptolemy, hope everything sorts out, and please share the outcome your experience here!

Getting the DNI is easy, when you register the baby´s birth they do it then. You may have to go back the next day / week to pick it up. Things have changed since my last baby was born a year ago, so I don't know if this is still relevant but we had to book an appointment to register our baby's birth and they were giving appointments for 1 month out. Wish I'd known that before baby was born, I'd have booked an appointment in advance. Worth checking out, anyway.

Slight Update: Today we went back to the registry for births and received the birth certificate. :)When we asked about the DNI problem, they said it had NOT been entered into the system and it “could take up to 5 months,” for this to happen. :mad: We spoke to people in Nacimientos and the people on the 4th floor (who do all the paperwork.) No one seemed to know why or when. It makes me wonder how many DNIs have been issued to newborns but have not actually been registered into the system. Some of you have written how easy it was,.. and it was easier for us two years ago, but most of you should know, that everything changed as of March. (Originally the police processed DNIs and passports. Now they do not.) So problems with registering newborns, etc.,all begin in March. A legal question now: does anyone know (for sure,) if the DNI is a required document for the Argentine passport?

Nikad, all I found was this confirmation that DNI was required:

"Siempre debés llevar tu DNI.......Si sos menor de 16 años debés concurrir acompañado por alguno de tus padres y presentar tu DNI y tu partida de nacimiento."

Sappho said:
Nikad, all I found was this confirmation that DNI was required:

"Siempre debés llevar tu DNI.......Si sos menor de 16 años debés concurrir acompañado por alguno de tus padres y presentar tu DNI y tu partida de nacimiento."

My bad! thanks for the heads up, I just edited my previous post to avoid confusion.

Back