Passport woes for Newborns

ptolemy

Registered
I was told today while trying to make an appointment to obtain the Argentine passport for my newborn, (born in Argentina,) that the DNI given to him at Nacimientos, was a DNI given to children of FOREIGN parents. (?!!) Hmmn,.. and to obtain his Argentine passport, (in order to leave this country,) we would have to go to immigrations to obtain his (real?) Argentine DNI in order to obtain the passport. Does anyone have any idea what is going here? None of this happened with my first child 2 years ago.

I call BS. Your son is Argentine, he was born here, his DNI is the one any Argentine citizen would have. Try again.

The woman at Renapaer tried five times to input the DNI number but it said it was foreign. When asked what color it was (light blue,) again she said it was foreign. Will try again if they are open. Thanks!

ptolemy said:
I was told today while trying to make an appointment to obtain the Argentine passport for my newborn, (born in Argentina,) that the DNI given to him at Nacimientos, was a DNI given to children of FOREIGN parents. (?!!) Hmmn,.. and to obtain his Argentine passport, (in order to leave this country,) we would have to go to immigrations to obtain his (real?) Argentine DNI in order to obtain the passport. Does anyone have any idea what is going here? None of this happened with my first child 2 years ago.

Poor you - sounds scary - anything is possible but lets hope for the best. Light blue is a new DNI color for me as our son was given a green one staright away - playing rainbow are they?

If you are Americans go into the embassy and register the birth and get a U.S. passport. I know a couple from another S.A. country that had a daughter in Argentina, it took them about 8 months to get an Argentine passport for here.

gouchobob said:
If you are Americans go into the embassy and register the birth and get a U.S. passport. I know a couple from another S.A. country that had a daughter in Argentina, it took them about 8 months to get an Argentine passport for here.
There are potential problems with that solution. Wouldn't I need his Argentine passport to leave the country? When leaving through the immigrations booth at the airport, they will see that he was born in Argentina, plus he will have had no previous visa stamp. They will ask for his Argentine PP. If he were entering the country it would be different though, that has it's problems too.

ptolemy said:
There are potential problems with that solution. Wouldn't I need his Argentine passport to leave the country? When leaving through the immigrations booth at the airport, they will see that he was born in Argentina, plus he will have had no previous visa stamp. They will ask for his Argentine PP. If he were entering the country it would be different though, that has it's problems too.

I seriously doubt you would have any trouble leaving with a U.S. passport, you could check with the embassy when you apply. You are a U.S., citizen with other kids please make sure their births are registered as well. They can certainly have dual citizenship if you want but I wouldn't pass up documenting their U.S. citizenship and the U.S. passport. This would be of extreme importance to me.

I helped out a young girl a few years ago who had an American father and a Peruvian mother. The child was born in Peru. The father was out of the country and died shortly after the birth. The birth was never registered. I helped her clear this up and get her citizenship and a passport but the amount of documentation and time required was substantial. All the years after the fathers death the girl and their mother had been living in extreme poverty. Once we got the citizenship squared away they were able to apply for and receive social security survivor benefits which made a big difference in their lives. You don't want to create a problem like this for your kids I'm sure.

Ptolemy, chances are that these idiots still do not know how stuff works and on top they always give misleading info over the phone, buuuuut if you have a foreign accent, please try to get a local friend to call on your behalf, these retards must have been enjoying the weekend already if you called today ;)

If your child is born in Argentina, don´t try leaving the country with anything other than an Argentine passport. They are very strict on this.

If the DNI number is a 94 xxx xxx one then it sounds like a foreign one. If it starts with 45, 46 or similar then it would be a ¨local¨one. But aren´t all kids born in Argentina considered Argentine citizens?

AngelinBA said:
If your child is born in Argentina, don´t try leaving the country with anything other than an Argentine passport. They are very strict on this.

If the DNI number is a 94 xxx xxx one then it sounds like a foreign one. If it starts with 45, 46 or similar then it would be a ¨local¨one. But aren´t all kids born in Argentina considered Argentine citizens?
That is what the law says, if they did anything different they messed it up :(

Back