Passport woes for Newborns

There are quite a few pregnant expats right now, I hope they follow this thread, it could be advantageous for them to return home until after the birth...

I may be optimistic in thinking that since the responsibility for issuing the DNIs has just shifted offices that the delays ptolemy has encountered are snags in the transition.

Ptolemy, when did you give birth to your baby? Were you on top of the process with the birth certificate, etc., from before the birth or did you sort of play it by ear after your baby was born? I'm wondering if this is the kind of thing that can potentially be expedited for an extra fee?

as I'm a pregnant expat I'm very curious as to how all this is breaking down. I'm likely going to do some research myself about the DNI/Passports since I'll want to leave within a few months after the baby is born, but I'm hoping that it doesn't become more of a reasonable option to just leave Argentina and give birth in the States than wait around here forever for the proper documentation to leave. Eep.

Good luck to those who need it!

MizzMarr said:
I may be optimistic in thinking that since the responsibility for issuing the DNIs has just shifted offices that the delays ptolemy has encountered are snags in the transition.

Ptolemy, when did you give birth to your baby? Were you on top of the process with the birth certificate, etc., from before the birth or did you sort of play it by ear after your baby was born? I'm wondering if this is the kind of thing that can potentially be expedited for an extra fee?

as I'm a pregnant expat I'm very curious as to how all this is breaking down. I'm likely going to do some research myself about the DNI/Passports since I'll want to leave within a few months after the baby is born, but I'm hoping that it doesn't become more of a reasonable option to just leave Argentina and give birth in the States than wait around here forever for the proper documentation to leave. Eep.

Good luck to those who need it!

Indeed it may be just “snags in the transition,” but snags they are. This is the second time I have been through this process. The first time was two years ago. (It took about 7-8 days.) My second child was born in the last week of February. We received the birth certificate today. And, yes we were on top of it, having already made an appointment with Nacimientos and copies of the numerous documents necessary. PM me if you want more info as I don't want my personal information all over the net.

Update#2
Went down to the local shopping center to apply (try,) for my child's passport. They don't do infant passports in the shopping centers. You must make an appointment for the Paseo Colon center in order to process the passport for an infant. Of course, my son's DNI has not been entered into the system as of yet and thus can not make an appointment. Soooooooooo back to square one and a waiting game. Maybe we can just shoot our way out at the border.........:mad:

A bit OT but there is a problem with passports in general right now. A portena friend of mine dropped off her Argentine passport back in Dec or Jan for a renewal. When she went in March, it wasnt ready:eek: She was leaving the country and had to beg, plead and throw a fit for them to get her a new one in a week. She said there were several other people there as well who has the same problem and had been waiting several months for passports that still weren't ready.

deadlegs said:
After a PM from Ptolemy I wanted to clarify that I took the DNI and Birth cert to get my boys passport. The website that I got all my info from and that worked brilliantly for me is http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/my_weblog/immigrationvisas/#tp. I don't know anything though about the process changing since March. So maybe its not relevant anymore. x
The information on Laura´s blog on that issue is 4 years old. I believe it is outdated due to all he recent changes.

Back