Patagonia in February, who's in?!

Kredburn

Registered
Hey all -

I'm heading to Ushuaia at the beginning of February for a few days, and then making my way by bus through Calafate, Chalten, Bolson and Bariloche, with possible early detour to Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales in Chile. My general plan is to hike and photograph as much as possible. I have a bunch of questions I wanted to put toward such a well-traveled audience:

-Should I pack for snow hiking conditions in Ushuaia in February?

-With travel costs so high I'm on a tight budget, so I wondered if it would make sense to rent a tent and take advantage of the free campsites in so many national parks. I'd need a place to lock up my larger backpack when I go hiking.

-I'm also wondering if people have itinerary suggestions, especially secluded places where fewer tourists go. It sounds like the 7 lakes region is my best bet for that.

Finally, I know it is an impersonal forum, but I wondered if anyone had a few gear items they would be willing to lend or rent to a young, responsible traveler. A backpacking tent and convertible pants would be well taken care of.

Thanks so much, and if anyone wants to share the adventure, PM me and we'll meet up for a lovely hike in Patagonia!

Back