Patagonia Travelling

Panini

Registered
Hey all,

I'm planning on making a trip at the end of Oct (possibly 25th) up to possibly the 11th of November. I was thinking of flying from BsAs to El Calafate and then making my way up to Bariloche and flying back to BsAs.

I was wondering if anybody has made similar trips? Any stops along the way to break up a reallllly long bus ride - or if flying just best to save on time.

I've heard El Bolson is gorgeous but it seems really close to Bariloche so it wouldn't break the trip between the two places that much. Any other recommended stop offs/ sights?

I don't have to do anything specifically that I need to do, not a massive hiker (plus I don't have much gear - a ski suit..) but am open to all suggestions/tips.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, you are talking about two different areas of Patagonia that are really a VERY long way apart. There are hardly any bus connections from the El Calafate area up to El Bolson, and that is not a usual travellers route anyway. If you go to the PM glacier most travellers then take in Torres de Paine National Park , not too far across the border in Chile, and also visit Ushuaia, Tierra de Fuego. On the other hand, El Bolson-Bariloche is much more on the line of a visit to Puyehue, Osorno, Puerto Montt and Chiloe Island (few tourists and what a fantastic place), a completely different trip worth 2-3 weeks in itself.... just a suggestion.

Markgeezer said:
There are hardly any bus connections from the El Calafate area up to El Bolson, and that is not a usual travellers route anyway.

I guess that was my question as to whether there are many worthwhile stop-off points between the two locations to make it into one trip or whether they're really two separate trips. Hmmmm Thanks!

I drove Bariloche to El Calafate in April. It was by far the best trip I've ever taken in Argentina. I'd definitely recommend driving as taking a bus wont allow you to really get in to any of the surrounding countryside. Also as of April the buses were not actually running up ruta 40 they were going to rio gallegos and then up to comodore rivadavia before cutting over to bariloche.

I was in Patagonia and parts of Chile late last year. Started from BA, flew to Ushuaia and took a cruise around Cape Horn, along the Beagle Chanel through the Chilean area, did an excursion, visiting some glaciers and the penguin island and then finished the cruise in Punta Arenas, Chile. The best part of Torres de Paine National Park was closed and remains close today. Half day trip to El Calafate (some rough dirt road), the glacier was spectacular, listening to a huge chunk of ice collapsed, it sounded like a thunder. Continued the trip to El Chalten, beautiful area, with easy hike trails.
Traveling from El Calafate to Baroloche, with some bus companies, it requires an overnight stay along its route (small town in the middle of nowhere). You either buy a voucher from a bus company you travel with or try your luck once you arrive. The road was rough, dirt and dust, only some areas were paved, and most parts were not. The trip was boring and hot. Baraloche has seen it glorious day. Plenty of activities around the area and be sure to stay right on the lakes. Best to rent a car in Baraloche and do visit the Tourist Information located in the center of the town. They are very helpful.
El bolson, the government and travel agents are promoting it. It doesn’t offer much of anything, some good scenery, quiet and peaceful. Definitely not a place to waste money and time. Good Luck.

El Chalten - caters to hikers - does not have much else to offer but is still a beautiful area. They have some nice trails and depending on your age and energy levels you can walk long distances here -- here you can see more glaciers and up along one of the trails is a beautiful lake where there is a campground and a small beach too. I stayed at the hostel but I am sure you could find better places to lay your head. I am a senior citizen.

I was in El Calafate/El Chalten in March of this year. Be warned that both towns are very expensive. Make sure you have all of your gear already bought and try not to eat out a lot, if you're on a budget.

El Chalten is in a great location for hiking. There are trails that start from the city.

Back