Paying for a flight school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masjaf

Registered
Greetings,

I am looking for a way to get 40 000 USD in cash to Argentina to pay for a flight school. I am a Slovenian citizen, first time in Argentina, and for almost any other country, I would just make a bank transfer with Wise or other similar service. Here in Argentina, things seem to be different as the flight school owner tells me. He has had a few other people try to send him USD to his bank account in Argentina with no success so he is requesting cash USD and we are in the process of trying to find the best way. No, I cannot be paying in pesos or sending it to his off-shore account because he has to pay for the aviation fuel with cash USD.

Our lowest rate we found so far is 5.5% + 100 USD per transfer with a lawyer of his. I have started looking into buying a cryptocurrency and Crybex.com or some other way of converting cryptocurrency to USD cash but haven't gotten to the stage of seeing how much it would cost me yet.

Does anyone have any other suggestions what the best way would be?

$40k is a huge amount for flight school, is it one of those in Moron? You can, of course, make a SWIFT transfer to a USD account here, but that amount is going to require verification at the intermediate bank, and also incoming here where it will be flagged to the AFIP tax authority.

Cash is king, always, if you can do that, great.

Otherwise, based on my experience, 5.5% is not bad.

I was going to say...a decent flight school in the US is about half that to obtain a license.
For a PPL, yes, outrageously so. I presume the OP is going for a commercial ticket.

My first thought was the same as yours but the current price for training for a commercial ticket at YBW, where my son gained his, is around CA$36K so US$40K isn't completely out of the ball park though I thought it would have been cheaper than that in Argentina.

Yes, I did find a school in US that can give me more certificates for 40k and a flight school in South Africa for less but here I get 200 hours, bush flying which is what I am interested and a guaranteed job as a pilot afterwards. PPL is 8800 and CPL is 30k. I thought it'd be cheaper but this training is a bit more intensive and the owner told me he needs another pilot and none of the ones that come from "normal" flight schools are cut out for the flying here in the mountains near Trevelin which is why his training is a bit more expensive.

To keep it on topic, if anyone has any other ideas in regards to bringing the cash here, I'd appreciate it.

To drag it off-topic again for a moment: good, excellent, I'm delighted for you! Me and I'm sure several others on this forum are really interested in what you are doing so please post updates here from time to time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back