Paying The Rent

I don't understand why some expats like to threaten owners with the tax authorities.

Good post. Are there expats who really think that AFIP would do anything about the complaints of a "gringo?"

It isn't a particularly efficient or, dare I say, competent government organization. Sure, the landlord in question may take the threats seriously, but what expat is actually going to go to AFIP and file a complaint?

We only take cash for the rent we receive, wouldn't entertain wire transfers. It is rented out in pesos rather than USD as we rented to a local kid, great tenant. Never a whisper.

It's the norm, as long as you have a contract you'll be ok.

All are right here - even the locals pay in cash - they go to the estate agent or owner and pay that way. I also back up what was said about NOT threatening owners. Most are fine and the only times I have heard of problems with owners is in a few hysterical threads here in baexpats.

I wo
Good post. Are there expats who really think that AFIP would do anything about the complaints of a "gringo?"

It isn't a particularly efficient or, dare I say, competent government organization. Sure, the landlord in question may take the threats seriously, but what expat is actually going to go to AFIP and file a complaint?

Have you ever heard of Argentines living in the US who threaten Americans with "denuncias" to the IRS?

Over twenty years ago when I first came to Argentina I paid rent in cash (USD even then -- and the peso was worth one dollar!). It's always been a cash culture. That's the way it is so you need to get used to it.

I don't understand why some expats like to threaten owners with the tax authorities. Argentina is not like more developed countries where taxes are more consistently applied to provide good social services, education and health care. Anyone who has lived in the country for awhile knows about the corruption. The pension system is miserable and that is a major reason that Argentines invest in property to rent out -- they know that they will never be able to live on their pensions (a very large part of the money disappeared when the system was returned to the state after privatization). I think you have to see the system in light of the reality. People in Argentina have to survive in ways that are not necessary in more prosperous and democratic countries. Unless your landlord/lady has deceived you or cheated you out of money, I don't think it is right to threaten over taxes.
Sorry Sergio, but I do not agree with defending tax evasion. It is typically the richest who evade the most, while low and middle class idiots keep paying. It is only fair they everybody pays. At the same time, they would think twice when voting or getting involved in politics.

Make sure his name and the apartment address is on the receipt, then you have something leverage (threats to AFIP) if he tries to screw you later!

I don't understand why some expats like to threaten owners with the tax authorities. ........ Unless your landlord/lady has deceived you or cheated you out of money, I don't think it is right to threaten over taxes.

If you read my post again, I wasn't saying threaten the landlord straight up, but get a receipt with the payment details then IF there was a problem in the future the op would have some sort of comeback.

I also back up what was said about NOT threatening owners.

again read the word in bold.

Are you talking about pesos or dollars?
If it makes you uncomfortable, look for another apartment but most are like this.
We pay pretty much everything by bank transfer and require an official factura (goverment receipt) but we are also willing to walk away if this is not possible, and outline this in the beginning of any transaction (we don´t pay rent, but services and salaries).
Argentines are getting better about accepting bank transfers but cash is still king.
The other thing you can do is cite the owner at the bank, go together to withdraw, give it to him and then say it his problem if it gets robbed.

Its about avoiding taxes I'm sure. Otherwise there is really no reason not to take a wire transfer. Carrying cash on you isn't that big of a deal if that's your main concern. You really get used to it.

I'd try to use it as leverage to lower the rent but other wise there's not much you can do. He's unlikely to budge if its a tax issue and you can go for it or find somewhere else.

How much is rent by the way? Are we talking five thousand pesos or fifty five thousand pesos?

That might work, but I doubt the owner will lower the rent since it's standard practice that everyone pays their rent in cash. I don't know of anyone who doesn't otherwise.

That might work, but I doubt the owner will lower the rent since it's standard practice that everyone pays their rent in cash. I don't know of anyone who doesn't otherwise.

If we were offered lower payments in cash I wouldn't take the contract. Simple as.

After being scalded/trapped/etc by the corralito in 2001 a lot of people still avoid banks as if they were the plague.
An example: a friend of mine works at a first rate international bank and on payday she'll religiously withdraw 100% of her paycheck money from her bank account and take it home. No tax evasion intent, all taxes are debited from her salary. Just a been-there-suffered-that situation.

Back