Paying U.S. Taxes

Cusifai

Registered
Hi all,

I am a U.S. citizen and 2017 was my first full year residing in Argentina, so I´m getting ready to file my U.S. tax return. I am a freelancer and make most of my income in cash in Argentina, but last year I made a trip to the U.S. and generated some freelance income there, which I plan to declare on a Schedule C. (I´ve done this for years, usually with an accountant, but this year the income situation is much simpler so I´m going to do it on my own).

Also, I got married last year. My wife is Argentine and although she´s never resided in the U.S. our marriage took place in the state of California.

So here´s the question: I lived and worked in New York for 20 years, but now my only residence is in Argentina, and I use a California address for US correspondence. For the state tax return do I file in New York or California? Or neither? Maybe I don´t need to pay state taxes because I don´t live in any of the states?

I realize I can´t expect to seek tax advice here, but I welcome thoughts and reflections....thank you!

Hi all,

I am a U.S. citizen and 2017 was my first full year residing in Argentina, so I´m getting ready to file my U.S. tax return. I am a freelancer and make most of my income in cash in Argentina, but last year I made a trip to the U.S. and generated some freelance income there, which I plan to declare on a Schedule C. (I´ve done this for years, usually with an accountant, but this year the income situation is much simpler so I´m going to do it on my own).

Also, I got married last year. My wife is Argentine and although she´s never resided in the U.S. our marriage took place in the state of California.

So here´s the question: I lived and worked in New York for 20 years, but now my only residence is in Argentina, and I use a California address for US correspondence. For the state tax return do I file in New York or California? Or neither? Maybe I don´t need to pay state taxes because I don´t live in any of the states?

I realize I can´t expect to seek tax advice here, but I welcome thoughts and reflections....thank you!

File a US return using the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. As for state taxes I would file in New York or the state where you did your freelance work...

You do not pay US taxes if you resided at least 333 days outside the USA. And if have not lived there there is no reason to pay state tax either, since that state have not provided any services to you.

I´m sure I won´t end up owing because I generated so little income, but I want to file the return to keep current with the IRS.

Cusifai,

You pay taxes in every state where you have tax nexus. If you have paid your state taxes in NY before, your best bet is probably to pay there.

You really should go to an accountant familiar with expat tax returns. I made mistakes in the past because I did not get proper information. There are accounting firms that specialize in expats.

Cusi, my firm can help and I happen to live here in BA. www.brighttax.com my direct email is [email protected]

Bright!Tax is the recognized leader in US expat tax | Four time Global EMMA Award Winner | With Clients in over 190 countries | All American CPAs, most of whom are also MBAs | US expat tax is all we do and we are very good at it.

Back