Peanut Butter (Ducle de Leche)

Nashorama:

If you pull your head out off your ass long enough to realize that this isn't Mexico, and that to come to Buenos Aires to eat Mexican food is the most absurd thing I have ever heard; you'll realize that Buenos Aires has some of the best food you could eat world wide... I have travelled the world and never have I eaten meat as hearty and delicious as that of the Argentine cow. I am assuming of course that you have been going to the wrong restaurants probably misguided by your Middle America ignorance. Take the time to visit "Las Lilas", "La Parolacha", "Sorrento" or "Novecento" you'll taste food that will bring orgasmic pleasure to your taste buds... then perhaps you'll realize that your claim stating that Buenos Aires has some of the worst food around is utterly ridiculous.

AlexD, you are the rudest poster I have yet to encounter, do you have nothing better to do then start insulting people on this site? Since you dish it out, I might as well launch a few at you --
Let me guess, you've been here what, all of 2 weeks? And yet you'll claim to know more than ANYONE on this site. Why don't you take a minute to stop and realise that the people that are posting on this forum for the most part are not dropping into BuenosAires for a quick look-see, buy some property, and get out -- the people on here are largely RESIDENTS, they don't need you to tell them about the "great food here" They are LIVING here, which means that yes, they occasionally get cravings for food from home. I admit that ilovepeanutbutter is a little over-effusive in her/his love of the old pb&j, but what harm is that doing to you? Why take such offense at what is a VERY common question here.
If you knew ANYTHING about expats in BA you would know that the PB question is always floating about and most people are looking for it shortly after they arrive, just as an Argentine going to the US would start looking for dulce de leche. (BTW to PB lovers, Jumbo hit the big time with the PB, there's LOADS of it)
Furthermore, you rude arrogant excuse for a man, regarding your address to Nash:
"AlexD" said:
Nashorama:
If you pull your head out off your ass
I'm sorry to be rude myself but WTF is that? That's rude enough in the States, and if you lived here for more than a minute you'd realise it's even ruder in Argentina and people just do not swear here the way they do at home

Continuing with your rampage you then say:
"AlexD" said:
I am assuming of course that you have been going to the wrong restaurants probably misguided by your Middle America ignorance. Take the time to visit "Las Lilas", "La Parolacha", "Sorrento" or "Novecento" you'll taste food that will bring orgasmic pleasure to your taste buds... then perhaps you'll realize that your claim stating that Buenos Aires has some of the worst food around is utterly ridiculous.
Actually, you are the one showing your "Middle American ignorance" when you recommend some of the most expensive restaurants in the city. Sure for you, maybe it's a drop in the bucket, but if you had ANY clue at all you'd have looked around Las Lilas and realised it's mostly tourists since it's priced above what the locals would want to pay.
The restaurants you suggest are nothing of what the average Porteno is eating, these are the high class joints -- start going to some of the local ones and you'll soon realise what people are talking about -- I'm not going to say the food is bad, but it's well, interesting -- I've had some of the strangest salads of my life since being here.
The blandness that people are complaining about is going to affect you sooner or later. Haven't you noticed yet that when you go to a restaurant there is salt on the table but never pepper? Everything here is toned down and very few Argies like much spice. When they tell you it's spicy be prepared for a tiny smidgen of warmth, whereas in other countries your mouth would be on fire, your eyes would be tearing, and your lips would be burning.
BTW AlexD, I hope I don't meet you face to face. If you're this rude ona forum I cannot imagine what you would be like in real life. I can picture it now, a loud know-it-all swearing away at the top of his lungs, putting down everyone around him just so that you can feel better about yourself and your sad little existence.
Please, stop telling everyone else to go home and do the rest of us a favour, remove yourself from this forum, and quickly.

Here's somn' hilarious for y'all: I am a Baires native, living in Cincinnati, about to go back home after 18 years, and I came to this forum to ensure one thing only: the ability to find that delicious, gooey, PB!!! Now suuuure...I love dulce de leche like any native, but my midafternoon snack for over 10 years now, includes a healthy dose of the only foodstuff I will thoroughly miss from these here' parts. Apparently the outlook isn't overly promising.
Cheers...

I found Skippy Peanut Butter in the international section at Jumbo. It was EXPENSIVE! It was labelled $8.99 which I thought was alot, but when I got home, I checked the receipt and it was $16.99! They had chunky and creamy.

I tricked my palate with some PASTA DE MANI, manufacturer AWABA Mediterranean Food, found in Casa China or Asia Oriental in Belgrano Barrio Chino. The taste is OK (mix well before eating), the consistency is soft... but at this point, who cares? I combine it with some La Campagnola Apricot Jam or Strawberry and I'm set to go... and by the way get the bread in "Hausbraut", seven grain or something alike and it will help some. Enjoy and I will let you know if I'm lucky to find some american dulce de leche (peanut butter!). Take care,Wanda

Im going to say this once.. and maybe people will stop talking about Peanut Butter on this site all the damn time. EVERYTHING YOU WANT IS IN CHINA TOWN!!! I have found everything I craved in china town, hummus, peanut butter, tahina, Grape Soda, curry, spices, Ramen noodles with the msg flavour packs, Wasabi peas, mexican hot sauce, rooster sauce, BUBBLE TEA!, a french press for 11$ pesos, kitch decor, TOFU, .. and more and more and more and more and more. So If anyone wants to stop complaining about how much they miss this stuff.. China town in the place to go.

Take bus 59, 60, 118 and numerous others to the BELGRANO STATION, cross the railroad tracks and take an immediate LEFT. you are there. GO NOW!!

Back