Pedestrian Dangers

Dear Nashorama,

"nashorama" said:
buy a clue. You aren't in Kansas anymore. .... Understand it. Get used to it. ....

.....My question is how many expats who come to South America have traveled anywhere else outside of their realm comfort, especially those who show up at EZEIZE unable to speak a word of Spanish. How do they survive? ....

Remember to look both ways and only then walk with the prevailing pedestrian traffic . . . quickly.

Nahorama
That is one of the most Assholish things anyone could say to another person expressing their distress. Its not about being "worldly" .. trying to pretend like anyone who complains about anything here must not "understand" because maybe they havent traveled as much as you. Just because you aparantly think you're the most street wise wordly person on the planet doesnt give you a right to tell people how stupid they are for having an opinion about the city they are in. I agree with everything he says.. the only difference is that I'm 10 times more paranoid than most people because I've already been hit by 5 cars in my life and in several car accidents (where i wasnt driving). I have plenty of things to complain about here and I will have things to complain about in any city in the world i go to.. that doesnt negate the the fact that I have a RIGHT to complain or have an opinon; and i should be able to do it without being told im not well traveled enough to accept that people are horrible to other people everywhere (Including on EXPAT FORUMS) Trying to kill people with cars because they just dont give a shit who they run over.. should not be concidered a "cultural difference".
Its a matter of observation and opinion not ignorance and comparasin to "kansas" .. you're acting like a newcomer bigot. In fact.. many more people are being assholes as well . What the hell is wrong with you? Its like some people think your soooo well traveled and sooooo experienced with new places, that people who fear for their lives when they cross the street are now ingnorant immigrants who need to "get a clue" and you have turned into the bastards running us down. Thanks to all of you who posted helpfull things or stats for trying to be understanding; because if i posted half the stuff here that I have to complain about and someone said something like that to me.. it would be 10 times worse hearing it from someone I would hope to understand than hearing it from my own native neighbors who yell at me to go back to my own country.

I'm surprised there aren't any air-powered musical horns here. They are very loud and especially effective at alerting unsuspecting pedestrians and other motorists. When I was in India it was like the traffic sounded like some kind of disorganized orchestra though with some kind of harmony beneath it all. Cows and people sharing narrow roads with drivers going head on and swerving at the last minute with a musical salute. It was delightful as well as disturbing at times.I can't say the same for here. Without the honking musical variety the traffic has no beat to it but it will keep you alert. I think the relevance, in contrast to the U.S. or other more "developed" countries, in the original post to Pedestrian Dangers is not unfounded though may be a bit naive. As for the heated rhetoric that has followed, I would've thought this was a political forum.

the crosswalks mean nothing, just for show or suggestion. when halfway across the street, a car can actually speed up just to send you running. its been happening all day to me, dodging cars (jumping for my life!). i have the green light to cross and they fly around the corner (they saw me but i didnt see them, get it) and they almost hit me. terrible drivers, terrible busses, horrible cars. this is argentina. and the people here tend to be pretty nasty too.

"JG" said:
and the people here tend to be pretty nasty too.
I've been here for over a week now and saying that the people are "pretty nasty" I think is beyond the pale. I wouldn't call myself "worldly" but I have been a few places and have found the people here much more kind and cooperative with foreigners than many other places. But when people get behind a wheel, anywhere, they tend to morph into another being weilding the power of the vehicle they drive. Traffic rules in some countries keep driving behaviors in check. But not most places. If you have to be here for a job or something, you should thank God you weren't sent to India, or Iraq.I drove a truck in Iraq the past 8 months and am just glad here at least I don't have to worry about snipers, IED's, car bombs, and complex ambushes.

Back