Permanent Residence Question

agape4argentina

Registered
I have a very specific question. As of July we had a baby in Argentina. He already has his DNI, I have all of our documents apostilized (apostilled?). We are from the US, by the way. My FBI background check will arrive next week, and my Argentina background check will be available next week as well. I know that I still have to get my certificado de domicilio, but that's easy and I'm not worried about that.

However, upon my first visit to Migraciones (in La Plata) I was told that as long as I (the father) have all my paperwork in order then not only will I get residency but my whole family will as well (provided we pay for all the fees). So, when I visited Migranciones again yesterday, another lady told me that my wife will also have to have both background checks as well. This is a problem only because it's a very long turnaround process and we plan on leaving the country for a trip in late November. I was hoping to have residency status before this time.

We have overstayed our visas and I was hoping to avoid the multa for overstaying.

All that said, my question is: does my wife, in fact, have to have both an Argentine and US background check? Or will mine suffice for the whole family? Does anyone have experience with this specific question?

Final question: where do I pay the fine for overstaying our visas?

I figured that, but as always I'm surprised by the multitude of answers you can get daily depending on the person you talk to in Argentina.

I'm surprised by the multitude of answers you can get daily depending on the person you talk to in Argentina.

I am also surprised that you were clever enough to deliver a baby in this country to get the papers. But still you ask such a question!!! Amazing!

Back