Permanent residence status expiry?

moomin

Registered
Hello,

I have a few questions I hope you guys may be able to help me with.

- I have permanent residence status (granted less than 2 years ago). Is this permanent, as in 'for life'? I see my DNI runs out in 14 years but is this just the DNI that runs out?

- Is it possible to move to another country for some years (renewing the DNI through the Argentine embassy in that country if it expires during that time) and return to live in Argentina as a permanent resident without having to reapply for residency?
Or do I need to remain physically resident in Argentina to maintain this permanent residence status?

- Are there any benefits to having Argentine citizenship (particularly in the above case of living outside the country for a number of years)? Is Argentine citizenship (acquired by non-natives) 'for life' whether you remain resident in the country or not?

- I have an Argentine-born child. I understand that in my child's case, Argentine citizenship is 'for life' unless renounced, no?

- Do I need to remain resident in Argentina for a specific amount of time after having been granted permanent residence?

- Is it possible to renew the DNI through any Argentine embassy/consulate or does one need to do this in Argentina?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

hola moomin!
You are asking exactly what I want to know... A foreginer with permanent resident as a parent of an argentine child

You have to return to Argentina once every two years. Even if for a day. This way you retain permanent residence. As for the DNI, I didn't know that it had any expiration however it can be easily renewed. I would not do it abroad even if it can be done - and I doubt it. That would call attenton to the fact that you are not resident in Argentna. I'd contact a competent immigration lawyer in Argentna and have him/her arrange everything so that it could be done efficiently and quickly while in Argentina. You would have to return to do this of course but it shouldn't take long. You can use your lawyer's address as your personal address. The DNI can be sent to his address and then forwarded to you.

I have never heard of temporary citizenship but maybe I've missed something. I always thought that once granted citizenship was for life unless you lose it for some extraordinary reason. Of course these are questions that you should ask a PROFESSIONAL, an immigration laeyer. Not any lawyer but an IMMIGRATION lawyer. You will get some accurate answers on this forum but also some speculation and what you need is FACTUAL and EXPERT information.

As for citizenship, I have thought about it but it seems to me that it could create more problems than benefits, especially as you'd be looked at more carefully by customs when entering the country however the plus would be that in the worst case scenario of an extreme left wing or even quasi communist government your property wojuld be protected. So far the government has only expropriated a major foreign owned company but who knows what could happen down the road if CFK gets the constitution changed and gets a third term and possibly ends up President-for-Life. People used to tell me that Argentines would never tolerate communism, that they like private property etc but things have changed beyond my wildest imagination and I can no longer convince myself that worse things could not happen. This government is going against the tide in so many ways, is so incredibly isolated, that I just don't know what can happen.

Please consult an IMMIGRATION lawyer and get the facts.

Without being an immigration expert, I am quite sure your child will never be able to renounce his/her Argentine citizenship (which is actually a good thing, it is the reason why some other countries allow double citizenship with Argentina...actually Argentina does not care how many other nationalities you have).
And not really sure about this, but I understand that you, as the parent of an Argentine citizen, will always receive a residence permit in Argentina (until your child turns 18?).

DNI and Argentine passports cannot be renewed abroad, only in Argentina. One can receive a travel permit at a consulate which gets void when entering Argentina, where you will have to renew them. They are then shipped to the nearest consulate in your country of residence, I know because I had to do it last year (I was living in Germany at that time).

They are then shipped to the nearest consulate in your country of residence, I know because I had to do it last year (I was living in Germany at that time).

thanks, amargo!
This is very new information to me. How did you do it? I have just applied for residencia/dni yesterday and the officer told me it would take 3 months to deliver. And as I read many threads here and now I think it could be a lot longer. I told the immigration officer that I wouldn't be back before the residencia precaria expires. She said I can renew it just before I leave the country. But after I came home and read here, it seems like it can be renewed only for 3 more months... so I have to come back anyway.

I can't stay in this country that long waiting for the DNI whicn could take 3 months or 20 months. So if they can ship to any consulate in other countries... I would be super happy!

Now the issue is not about residencia, its about DNI, I am not sure if I should go back to the immigration to ask OR somewhere like registro civil or so...?

I will tell my experience regarding renewal of DNI/Passport: last January I was residing somewhere in Europe and had to fly for work to Argentina. My Argentine documents had all expired, I entered the country with another (foreign) passport. At the airport in Ezeiza I had both DNI and passport renewed, but since I was staying only some 30 hours in the country, I was told the documents would be shipped to the nearest consulate (I had to indicate the lady which one was the nearest). I left Argentina on my foreign passport.
Then I tracked the status of the renewal process here.
After a short time -I believe it was less than two weeks- the system said they had been dispatched. They did. But the consulate never contacted me, I called them one and a half months later and they said they were ready for pickup. I sent then a few envelopes and stamps and they posted the documents to my domicile. It was actually quite straighforward.
Hope this helps.

thanks amargo!

So you didn't have any problem even your argentine documents were expired, that's a good news.

I've been thinking.... the issue for me is picking up the DNI which could be delivered after I left the country. Mine is the first one, I just have done the process at the immigration the other day, so the delivery address is where the certificado de domicilio says, I guess it wouldn't be changed, as you set your delivery address in other country when you renew it, it's different I guess. I'm leaving the country soon and I guess it will be returned to where I applied which is immigration office, and will wait for me to be picked up by me. My residencia precaria will be expired while I am out of the country but next time I will enter the country with my foreign passport, and go to the immigration to pick up my DNI.

I was afraid that if the residencia precaria expires, I have to redo all the process again or not. But it seems like when I pick up the DNI, I wouldn't need the residencia precaria, right?

wait ... I am still not clear about maintaining the residencia.

Do I have to come back to Argentina every 2 years? if so how does it be checked?
But amargo said there were no problem to renew the expired DNI.

There are no Permanent residence stamp on my passport, so only DNI can tell that I have permanent residency, right? So the issue is about DNI or it's different story? I am getting confused ;(

Thank you very much Sergio and Amargo for your comments. Sorry I am only getting to come on to the forum and respond now.
Satoko, I hope you have been able to figure out your situation.

Back