Permanent Residency Application Stuck in "Proceso de supervisión"

To give the abbreviated version, it did not come to pass.
Could you enlighten us a little more? Your story is potentially useful for some of the others of us on a path that may lead nowhere in the end.

Could you enlighten us a little more? Your story is potentially useful for some of the others of us on a path that may lead nowhere in the end.
I was granted temporary residency a couple of years ago. My immigration lawyer in BA assured me this was a path to permanent residency. According to various sources and conversations with lawyers and officials at Migraciones, that is not the case at all. People with temp. res. just keep applying for the same. I am leaving out the Kafka-esque/Dickensian nightmare of dealing with the idiots at Migraciones, who, like officials at any government agency I have dealt with in Argentina, do nothing and know nothing. I asked lawyers about the investment route -- both initially and recently. I was told that rarely is permanent residency the outcome -- "almost never". Marriage seems to hold more promise and I am investigating that now. However, pre-nups only protect what you have before marriage. They don't apply to assets acquired after marriage. My girlfriend is Argentinian but I am on principle against marriage, which is, to my mind, a relationship two people have with the state, not primarily with each other.

I was granted temporary residency a couple of years ago. My immigration lawyer in BA assured me this was a path to permanent residency.

Well, at least it used to be.

I was granted temporary residency in 2006 and asked for the cambio de categoria to permanent residency on the third renewal in 2009. At that time it was SOP.

After a friend of mine renewed his temporary residency for the third time a year or two later, he was told that he must apply for permanent residncy the next year.

It looks like those days are over.

I am leaving out the Kafka-esque/Dickensian nightmare of dealing with the idiots at Migraciones, who, like officials at any government agency I have dealt with in Argentina, do nothing and know nothing.

Wow! I didn't have any negative experiences in dealing with Migraciones...not in any way whatsoever in four years...all without using a lawyer!

When I applied for temporary residency the first time( as well as the first renewal) I went with my lovely friend Patricia (aka the "clipboard lady") who acted only as my interpreter.

My first (and only) Argentine girlfriend had insisted that I use her lawyer, but I dumped both of them after she told me that I could only (legally) buy an apartment if I put her name on the title and transfer the money to the lawyer prior to the escritura (which took place a few days after I got the precaria for my temporary residency).

Marriage seems to hold more promise and I am investigating that now. However, pre-nups only protect what you have before marriage. They don't apply to assets acquired after marriage. My girlfriend is Argentinian but I am on principle against marriage, which is, to my mind, a relationship two people have with the state, not primarily with each other.

Have you considered Argentine citizenship?

I was granted temporary residency a couple of years ago. My immigration lawyer in BA assured me this was a path to permanent residency. According to various sources and conversations with lawyers and officials at Migraciones, that is not the case at all. People with temp. res. just keep applying for the same. I am leaving out the Kafka-esque/Dickensian nightmare of dealing with the idiots at Migraciones, who, like officials at any government agency I have dealt with in Argentina, do nothing and know nothing. I asked lawyers about the investment route -- both initially and recently. I was told that rarely is permanent residency the outcome -- "almost never". Marriage seems to hold more promise and I am investigating that now. However, pre-nups only protect what you have before marriage. They don't apply to assets acquired after marriage. My girlfriend is Argentinian but I am on principle against marriage, which is, to my mind, a relationship two people have with the state, not primarily with each other.
Yes, I think many of us are all too familiar with Kafka and Dickens down at Migraciones. I have reported my own experience with Kristal the Overweight Punk here previously (the most colorful of several encounters with unhelpful characters and serial liers). But, I must dig a little more, if you don't mind. The whole system is, in theory, premised on the idea that (non-Mercosur) we complete three successive years of temporary residency (i.e., we are granted it, we renew it again after 12 months, and then again at 24 months, and then at month 36 (if we did everything right in the previous 12 months) are then eligible to apply for permanent residency, which should be reasonable automatic at that point. Did you complete three years of temporary residency? Are you still in the midst of three years temporary residency? Were you a temporary resident for a year or two and then jumped off and lost that status?

Well, at least it used to be.

I was granted temporary residency in 2006 and asked for the cambio de categoria to permanent residency on the third renewal in 2009. At that time it was SOP.

After a friend of mine renewed his temporary residency for the third time a year or two later, he was told that he must apply for permanent residncy the next year.

It looks like those days are over.

Wow! I didn't have any negative experiences in dealing with Migraciones...not in any way whatsoever in four years...all without using a lawyer!

When I applied for temporary residency the first time( as well as the first renewal) I went with my lovely friend Patricia (aka the "clipboard lady") who acted only as my interpreter.

My first (and only) Argentine girlfriend had insisted that I use her lawyer, but I dumped both of them after she told me that I could only (legally) buy an apartment if I put her name on the title and transfer the money to the lawyer prior to the escritura (which took place a few days after I got the precaria for my temporary residency).

Have you considered Argentine citizenship?
Sometimes, I wonder how reflective my experience is of the policy and how much of this is just my experience. However, that in itself speaks poorly of the agency involved. It's so difficult getting a straight answer to simple questions but I am glad you had a good experience. (I've had the same experience with AFIP.) It almost seems as if they make up the law in the moment or they just get off on wearing you down, wasting your time and money.

Anyone else having problems seeing their residency application? I input my "numero de expediente" in http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/ConsultaUnificada.php and it says"

"Ocurrio un error al consultar el estado del trámite. Verifique los datos ingresados e intente nuevamente".

Writing to the "Canal único de contacto" at https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/contacto/ is of no help so far, they're basically giving me canned responses, like:

"Te informamos que tu trámite se encuentra intimado a presentar documentación adicional. Podrás informarte y observar la intimación ingresando con tu número de expediente y fecha de nacimiento a http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/ConsultaUnificada.php Allí podrás adjuntar la documentación requerida".

I tried 3 times already to get sense out of them, but it's always the same canned response. Of course, to make this even more fun, the idiots made it impossible to paste text into the window, and only allow a new message 48 hours after the previous one, so I'm likely to run out of time (15 days) before they fix their problem.

Any ideas on what to do?

Anyone else having problems seeing their residency application? I input my "numero de expediente" in http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/ConsultaUnificada.php and it says"

"Ocurrio un error al consultar el estado del trámite. Verifique los datos ingresados e intente nuevamente".

Writing to the "Canal único de contacto" at https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/contacto/ is of no help so far, they're basically giving me canned responses, like:

"Te informamos que tu trámite se encuentra intimado a presentar documentación adicional. Podrás informarte y observar la intimación ingresando con tu número de expediente y fecha de nacimiento a http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/ConsultaUnificada.php Allí podrás adjuntar la documentación requerida".

I tried 3 times already to get sense out of them, but it's always the same canned response. Of course, to make this even more fun, the idiots made it impossible to paste text into the window, and only allow a new message 48 hours after the previous one, so I'm likely to run out of time (15 days) before they fix their problem.

Any ideas on what to do?
You have my condolences.

I have to say, this is all so absolutely convoluted and complicated now.
Back in 2012 or so I walked into the building, papers in hand, and walked out an hour or two later with a precaria in had.
The DNI came to my house an hour later.
They took something that was largely working and messed it up for no good reason.

Any ideas on what to do?
Go in person, do not do the line. Just in fron of where the line beggings, there is a tree with a paper sign that says “vista”. Tell the agent you come for vistas and you have the pendrive. Fill the form, get you file in PDF and see what is going on before you get a deportation order.

While immigration is working worst, the Federal Courts are working a lot better, perhaps citizenship is easier.

Writing to the "Canal único de contacto" at https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/contacto/ is of no help so far, they're basically giving me canned responses

Any ideas on what to do?

That's what they do, the canal único was of no use before, during, and after I started this thread. The only thing that helped was their Twitter. Don't bother calling or going in person, both are wastes of time. https://twitter.com/migraciones_ar and if they don't get back to you in 48 business hours tag @florcarignanook, the director, they really don't like her getting notified of problems it seems.

Back