Permanent residency: bringing items duty free? Car?

Sleuth

Registered
I've had a rentista visa for one year, and now with the birth of my daughter I'm about to get my permanent residency.

Does anyone know if the permanent residency allows me to bring in a container of household items without duty? I remember hearing that I would have 6 months to do that.

Also, does it allow me to bring in a car without tax? I seem to recall that there was a list of cars they allow one to bring in, but I do not know what circumstances you can bring them in and not pay taxes.

Thanks for any advice.

Good news:

http://www.exportainer.com/import_requeriments_en.htm

"ALIENS ENTERING ARGENTINA WITH A TEMPORARY RESIDENCE VISA: These may bring into the country one or more shipments (while they have a temporary visa) of personal belongings and used household goods under temporary admission according to the present guaranty system : The belongings must be guaranteed to the local customs authorities for the duration of the visa by means of a signed guaranty with a registered company signing as guarantor, or by a security policy, local bonds, moneys, etc.. The guaranty may be renewed for the same extension as the visa. - If at the expiry date of the guaranty the temporary visa has not been renewed or the permanent visa obtained, the goods must be nationalized (import taxes paid on them) or be re-exported.

Once the Permanent Residence Visa has been obtained this must be presented at Customs. The guaranty is thus annulled and the goods brought in under it are nationalized, tax free – These aliens are also allowed to bring in a shipment of used household goods within six months of date in which the Permanent Residence Visa was issued."

I would like to be the first one on this board to say:

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

OK, now other people can talk about import duties.

Way to go, Napoleon!

You suddenly appear, well, so much taller!:)

And may I add my congratulations, too!

steveinbsas said:
Way to go, Napoleon!

You suddenly appear, well, so much taller!:)

And may I add my congratulations, too!

I was at the gym building the perfect body. Sorry for my absinthe. :p

Napoleon said:
I was at the gym building the perfect body. Sorry for my absinthe. :p

I heard you were getting a bit green at the gills and your muscles had gone soft and flabby. I also heard that, on your first visit to the gym, instead of Napoleon they were calling you TooLoose La'wreck.

Je suis désolé. Je regrette de dire que je n'a pas de contrôle de mon sens de l'humour.:eek:

Thanks for the info and congrats!

I'll now have to decide whether it makes sense to bring that container or not. Looks like bringing a car makes almost no sense as there is an 80% tax. Gonna go back to looking at the Ford Ecosport - it is the cheapest SUV here by far.

Sleuth said:
Thanks for the info and congrats!

I'll now have to decide whether it makes sense to bring that container or not. Looks like bringing a car makes almost no sense as there is an 80% tax. Gonna go back to looking at the Ford Ecosport - it is the cheapest SUV here by far.

For what it's worth, 2 years ago we looked into bringing a car with out stuff and it seemed it was only worth if it you had temporary residency. Once you moved over to permanent we didn't see a way to get around the 80% unless you were a returning Argentine. I think that's the only time you can bring in the car tax free. And honestly, we had someone helping us and it just seemed a HUGE pain in the a$$.

You had to have permission to allow the car into the country however this has to be done once the car arrives. You can't do it before hand. Now they say that most likely they would allow the car in once it arrives, but I really didn't like the whole thing. What if you got the car all the way here and for some reason they don't approve it's entry? Can you say "coima"? Too much hassle and stress.

Back