Peso Shortage

weissbr

Registered
We're arriving Wednesday for an extended stay. I've just seen an
article in the Wall Street Journal discussing the peso shortage.

I'm seeking advice; I got a few pesos here in San Francisco at
a horrendous exchange rate to have cab fare from the airport
and enough for a day or two.

Is the currency exchange at the arrival airport likely to have pesos?
I've been counting on Citibank which I used successfully
on my last trip.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Barry Weiss

I had no trouble getting pesos at the airport four days ago. I've also not had any trouble with two small transactions around the city since then.

Good luck.

I think they are mainly referring to coins, ATMs are stuffed with notes and so are exchange buroes, so I don't think you will have any problems at all in finding a place where to change or withdraw money. I saw the article on TV yesterday, but as there was no audio on I am not sure what they were talking about :) Anyway no worries: there is no shortage of notes at the moment!

There is a Banco de la Nacion in the airport terminal (two, actually); go there to exchange currency. They offer the best rate and are open 24 hours. I only mention it because I know of people who used the Global Exchange kiosk in the baggage claim area (which you have to exit before you even see the Banco de la Nacion), and were ripped off for a truly horrendous rate.

starlucia said:
There is a Banco de la Nacion in the airport terminal (two, actually); go there to exchange currency. They offer the best rate and are open 24 hours. I only mention it because I know of people who used the Global Exchange kiosk in the baggage claim area (which you have to exit before you even see the Banco de la Nacion), and were ripped off for a truly horrendous rate.

THIS!!

Don't exchange at baggage claim.

Change money when you are just about to exiting the secured area (Banco de la Nacion on your right) or just after you exit it (by turning right and then right again and going to the backside of Banco de la Nacion).

You won't need coins, because you're NEVER going to take the bus.

I think that article is a bit late on the discussion. There were shortages at the ATMs and to pay out the civil servants salaries (when they went to the bank to take out their pay in cash) around Xmas. Since Xmas I've not had a problem getting money at the ATMs.

mini said:
I think that article is a bit late on the discussion. There were shortages at the ATMs and to pay out the civil servants salaries (when they went to the bank to take out their pay in cash) around Xmas. Since Xmas I've not had a problem getting money at the ATMs.

This Friday I was with a couple of American girls who had to go to about 3 or 4 banks before they found one with money.

It was a bit embarrassing.

ATM’s in Argentina are full of Argentine money.
What is in short supply is small bills and coins for change.
Buy something for 25 a$r and give them a 100 the merchant only has ~42 a$r to give you back in change.
Probably a scam, a tourist does not have all day to wait around for his or her change.
2nd scam ... Hand someone a 100 a$r they hand you back a different one that is counterfeit and say they don’t have change.
Time is Money. Don’t waste a lot of your time trying to save 5 pesos by going here and there.
Enjoy your time in Argentina.

Napoleon said:
This Friday I was with a couple of American girls who had to go to about 3 or 4 banks before they found one with money.

It was a bit embarrassing.

Were they that bad? :eek:

Back