Peso Shortage

i am finding that a lot of machines are giving me all 50´s in place of 100´s. Not complaining about that, but it does demonstrate the 100 shortage.

Napoleon said:
(2) If I'm worried about breaking a AR$100 bill, just think what life will be like trying to break a AR$200 bill, much less a AR$500 or AR$1,000 bill.

OMG i didn't even think about this.

anyway, i had to go to 11 ATMs on saturday night before finding one with money.

someone above mentioned going to ATMs around 4:30 on friday. are there other days where it's easier/harder to find cash than others?

i'm seriously considering hoarding cash like the natives...

I just got off a Skype chat with someone who's worried about not having cash.

Fortunately, things haven't been so bad for me.

-Last week when I went to my old Citibank and asked for AR$30 in monedas, my girl behind the counter asked me if I wouldn't mind getting AR$50 in monedas, because they are already counted out in bags of AR$50. That way she wouldn't have to count out the things.
-I occasionally work in greenbacks and all of the change houses want those, so that's no problem.
-Also, I occasionally get paid up front in pesos. So girls not being able to find cash on Friday afternoon was there problem. And as soon as it was solved, I had a wad o' cash. (But not so much that my wallet was too fat.)

I'm guessing that there are shortages out there. I'll keep an eye out for everybody.

-Nappy

Napoleon, I'm with you on the "fat wallet" problem. That's one problem I must have! :D

As far as cash shortages at ATMs: What's new? I lived at Godoy Cruz and Santa Fe, approximately. I'd first go to a Banco Ciudad to withdraw cash; failure rate was about 40% of the time. Then I'd go to Banco Nacion; usually, the lines drive me away. Then, I'd go to Banco Comafi; I always had success there.

I would always moan, groan, and launch into a rant about how, "In the United States...." You can finish the sentence.

Then yesterday night I go to an ATM in the United States -- a Bank of America ATM, no less. And what did it say? "We apologize for the inconvenience, but this ATM is not online." :eek: Fail.

Anyway, bring a few hundred dollars with you in small bills. Worst case scenario, you can pay with dollars.

Haven't had any problems at the ATMs around here either (besides the Monday after New Years which wasn't unexpected). Have to head to the ATM today so will report back if there are any problems.

The "cash crisis" has just now hit "bubble Mini". There is no cash in the 4 machines on my way home. I will (try to) try again after 4:30 and report back.

ETA: Mini cash crisis averted. There is now cash in the machines and all is good again.

Also as jenh said, out in the "office zone" there is cash.

Curious - what neighborhoods are you not finding cash in? I have not come across this yet in Belgrano or out by my office on the Panamericana.

Haven't seen any issues getting 100s out of the ATMs, but buying something small with them is a pain. Even Starbucks balked at breaking my bill for a 17 peso grande fancy coffee.

I too am curious where the ATMs are out of cash. Will the machine have a message before you input your card? Otherwise I will get charged a fee...

I have seen the machines at the 3 banks on Santa Fe at Plaza Italia repeatedly empty around late afternoon for most of December and Jan. You are not charged a fee for the message. Further down Santa Fe about 2 blocks past the Palermo subte the Santander Rio there has many more ATM's and I have not found it empty yet.

Back